The Northern Lights Will Be Visible Over the US Tonight — Here’s Where to Find Them
Northern Lights season is officially here, and that means it’s time to see the incredible phenomenon and check it off your bucket list.
While you might typically spot the lights dancing across the Icelandic night sky, or shining above Svalbard, there are a handful of nights each year when you can catch the aurora right here in the United States.
An aurora viewing in the US is rare, but it’s much more likely during geomagnetic storms. These storms generate solar winds that interact with particles in the Earth’s atmosphere, causing them to glow. This makes the Northern Lights visible in places where they might not normally be seen.
This week, According to the Space Weather Prediction Center, a geomagnetic storm — measured at a G1, or a minor storm — is expected from 4pm on Friday, Nov. 9 through the early morning hours of Saturday, Nov. 10.
3-Day Forecast Issued 2018 Nov 08 1230 UTC: The greatest expected 3 hr Kp for Nov 08-Nov 10 2018 is 5 (NOAA Scale G1). S1 or greater: 1%, 1%, 1%. R1-R2: 1%, 1%, 1%. R3 or greater: 1%, 1%, 1%. https://t.co/gPw8AeBd9u
— NOAA Space Weather (@NWSSWPC) November 8, 2018
The range of visibility depends on the strength of the storm, which is measured by the “KP Number” on a scale of 1 to 9. This storm is expected to reach KP-5. This number is key because it also helps you determine where in the US you can catch a glimpse. Check out the chart below to see if you’ll be able to spot the lights from where you are in the country.
After analyzing the chart above, it looks like the Northern Lights will be most visible to those in Alaska, Montana, Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Washington, Wisconsin, Michigan, northern Maine and potentially parts of northern New York. Canada’s southernmost territories may also be treated to an aurora show.
If you happen to be flying through that area late on Friday into Saturday, you might want to switch to a window seat because there’s a good chance you can catch the Northern Lights from the sky. A number of transatlantic routes pass through the expected path, as well as flights from East Asia to the northeastern US. Your best chance, however, is on an eastbound overnight transatlantic flight — many pilots will point it out if the aurora comes into sight. And if you see it, don’t forget to snap a pic and send it to us. We love to feature reader shots on our Instagram account.
Flyers can check FlightAware.com to see the anticipated route for their flight and choose seats on the correct side of the plane for optimal viewing, though it’s important to note that flight paths can change at any point before or during a flight.
Featured image by @jprudder1 via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees