The Miles App Will Reward You for Every Mode of Transportation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If it’s not clear from our name, we here at TPG love travel loyalty programs. Despite their periodic devaluations, they allow travelers to experience first-class flights, luxurious hotel stays and other redemptions that would cost thousands if paid in cash. That said, the forms of travel these programs reward you for are pretty limited. However, a new app called Miles just launched with the aim to change that.
Essentially a universal travel rewards platform, Miles awards points for all modes of transportation: car, plane, train, subway, bus, boat, bicycle and foot. The more eco-friendly the mode is, the more points you earn.
Points can be redeemed for rewards ranging from Amazon and Starbucks gift cards to free Silvercar rentals and discounts on HelloFresh meal kits. While many of the rewards, such as the gift cards, can be claimed multiple times, some of them are one-time offers.
Much like airline loyalty programs, Miles offers elite status tiers. Everyone starts with Silver status and can move up to to Gold or Platinum, depending on monthly activity. While elite status doesn’t get you free flight upgrades or anything like that, it could get you better redemption rates and early access to rewards.
While the per-point value varies significantly based on the reward, the redemption rates remain consistent when redeeming for gift cards. A $5 gift card will always cost base members 3,000 points (a value of about 0.17 cents per point), Silver members 2,500 points (a value of 0.20 cents per point) and Platinum members 2,000 points (a value of 0.25 cents per point). Some of the other rewards, such as discount codes for retail purchases, aren’t as easy to put a price tag on and the value will vary based on the user.
Setting up and using the app is pretty straightforward. Plus, if you’re among the first 5,000 TPG readers to download the app using this link by the end of day on July 25, you’ll start off with an additional 1,000 bonus miles and be bumped straight up to top-tier Platinum status — a type of bonus airlines never offer.
However, there’s one major drawback to the app: You must allow the app to always track your location. The app was designed to work in the background and won’t be able to log trips if you don’t do this.
The app’s technology is supposed to automatically detect the mode of transportation for every trip. Users can also link their Uber and Lyft accounts so that the app automatically recognizes rideshare and carpool trips. That said, not all of my trips posted properly during my trial of the app, but the app lets you submit trips for review if that happens.
Miles is now available for download on the iOS app store, with an Android version coming soon. With 24/7 location tracking, it definitely won’t be for everyone. However, if you don’t mind that, it’s a great way of adding value to the travel you otherwise wouldn’t be rewarded for. While gift cards and free Silvercar rentals are great, the value of the rewards vary. The folks behind the app expect rewards to become more lucrative and unique over time.
As a reminder, TPG readers could start off additional 1,000 bonus miles and be bumped straight up to top-tier Platinum status by downloading the app here.
All images courtesy of Miles.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees