This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Icelandair made news last month when it announced plans to fly De Havilland Canada Dash 8 turboprop planes on two relatively long routes – for a turboprop, at least – from its main hub near Reykjavik.
The flights from Reykjavik (KEF) to Manchester (MAN), England, and Dublin (DUB), Ireland, are scheduled to begin July 15.
Here at TPG, that got us thinking. We wanted to see how those routes stacked up against other routes flown by the Dash 8 (formerly known as the Bombardier Q400).
It turns out, KEF-MAN hums its way to the second-longest Dash 8 route on the schedule this summer. It’s surpassed only by a once-a-week Dash 8 flight between Linz, Austria, and Rhodes, Greece, that’s operated by Austrian Airlines.
Here are the top 10 routes by distance for the week of July 22, according to flight-data firm OAG:
- Linz, Austria (LNZ) – Rhodes, Greece (RHO), Austrian Airlines, 1,079 miles
- Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) – Manchester, England (MAN), Icelandair, 1,026 miles
- Algiers, Algeria (ALG) – Tamanrasset, Algeria (TMR), Tassili Airlines, 968 miles
- Algiers, Algeria (ALG) – Djanet, Algeria (DJG), Tassili Airlines, 933 miles
- Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) – Dublin, Ireland (DUB), Icelandair, 930 miles
- Atyrau, Kazakhstan (GUW) – Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan (TSE), Qazaq Air, 925 miles
- Gran Canaria, Spain (LPA) – Ponta Delgada, Portugal (PDL), SATA Air Acores, 902 miles
- Johannesburg, South Africa (JNB) – Walvis Bay, Namibia (WVB), South African Airways, 881 miles
- Southampton, England (SOU) – Alicante, Spain (ALC) – Flybe, 876 miles
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia (PKC) – Petropavlovsk, Russia (UUS), JSC Aurora Airlines, 819 miles
Source: OAG. Data looked at all regularly scheduled airline flights operating at least once a week during the week of July 22. Some flights may be operated for regional affiliates under the name of larger mainline carriers.
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel