The Longest Routes on a Dash 8 Turboprop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Icelandair made news last month when it announced plans to fly De Havilland Canada Dash 8 turboprop planes on two relatively long routes – for a turboprop, at least – from its main hub near Reykjavik.
The flights from Reykjavik (KEF) to Manchester (MAN), England, and Dublin (DUB), Ireland, are scheduled to begin July 15.
Here at TPG, that got us thinking. We wanted to see how those routes stacked up against other routes flown by the Dash 8 (formerly known as the Bombardier Q400).
It turns out, KEF-MAN hums its way to the second-longest Dash 8 route on the schedule this summer. It’s surpassed only by a once-a-week Dash 8 flight between Linz, Austria, and Rhodes, Greece, that’s operated by Austrian Airlines.
Here are the top 10 routes by distance for the week of July 22, according to flight-data firm OAG:
- Linz, Austria (LNZ) – Rhodes, Greece (RHO), Austrian Airlines, 1,079 miles
- Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) – Manchester, England (MAN), Icelandair, 1,026 miles
- Algiers, Algeria (ALG) – Tamanrasset, Algeria (TMR), Tassili Airlines, 968 miles
- Algiers, Algeria (ALG) – Djanet, Algeria (DJG), Tassili Airlines, 933 miles
- Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) – Dublin, Ireland (DUB), Icelandair, 930 miles
- Atyrau, Kazakhstan (GUW) – Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan (TSE), Qazaq Air, 925 miles
- Gran Canaria, Spain (LPA) – Ponta Delgada, Portugal (PDL), SATA Air Acores, 902 miles
- Johannesburg, South Africa (JNB) – Walvis Bay, Namibia (WVB), South African Airways, 881 miles
- Southampton, England (SOU) – Alicante, Spain (ALC) – Flybe, 876 miles
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia (PKC) – Petropavlovsk, Russia (UUS), JSC Aurora Airlines, 819 miles
Source: OAG. Data looked at all regularly scheduled airline flights operating at least once a week during the week of July 22. Some flights may be operated for regional affiliates under the name of larger mainline carriers.
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees