The First Airbus BelugaXL Rolls out of Hangar With Special Livery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus has unveiled a special livery for one of its newest aircraft, the BelugaXL. The giant rolled out of a hangar in Toulouse, France, on Thursday.
The XL is a larger version of the Beluga, an aircraft designed specifically for transporting airplane parts — the XL has 30% more capacity than its predecessor and can reportedly carry two A350 wings at once.
The livery is inspired by the aircraft’s namesake, a Beluga whale. The black streak that starts at the cockpit represents the whale’s mouth, which is complimented by large eyes on either side of the fuselage. More than 20,000 Airbus employees voted on the paint job, with this design beating five others.
Based off the A330-200 and powered by two Rolls-Royce Trent 700 engines, Airbus will build five BelugaXLs with the first going into service in 2019. The XL will undergo ground testing before it takes its first test flight this summer. The first iteration of the Beluga fleet will be slowly phased out of service when the last one retires in 2025.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.