This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chase recently increased the sign-up bonus on one of our favorite travel rewards credit cards for beginners and seasoned award travelers alike: the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. The old offer of 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months was raised to 60,000 points with the same minimum spend requirement.
Those 10,000 extra Chase points are worth $200 based on TPG’s valuations, but the card’s $95 annual fee is no longer waived for the first year. However, as Doctor of Credit reports, there may be a way to get the 60,000-point bonus along with a waived annual fee for the first year — if you’re lucky enough to be targeted.
Too see if you’ve been targeted for this offer, log in to your Chase account and click on the “Just for you” button on the sidebar of the main account page. Not everyone will be targeted for this offer, so you may see nothing under “Selected for you.”
Beyond waiving the annual fee for the first year, what makes this offer special is that it gets around Chase’s 5/24 rule. Chase will automatically deny your application if you’ve been approved for more than five cards (across any bank) over the past 24 months, but if you’re over 5/24 and see that you’re preapproved for the CSP or another card by navigating to “Selected for you,” you should still be eligible.
Note: “Selected for you” is different from Chase’s prequalified offers, which reportedly don’t get around 5/24. Doctor of Credit offers the following tips for distinguishing between the two:
Note, if you see a link that says ‘explore Chase credit cards’ and then displays all the cards and doesn’t say ‘selected for you’ with the green check mark then you don’t have any of these offers. It will also only show up if you see the new website design (and this won’t show if you have business cards).
The Travel Sisters, who originally discovered this trick, also have a solid guide on how to locate these offers.
While “Selected for you” offers appear to bypass 5/24, chances are they won’t get around the Sapphire 48-month rule, which only allows you to receive a sign-up bonus from a Chase Sapphire card every 48 months.
Featured image by The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards