A Record-Breaking 2.8 Million Flyers per Day Will Hit US Airports This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hopefully you have TSA PreCheck. This summer, you’re going to need it.
A record-breaking number of travelers are expected to hit airports during this year’s peak summer travel season, industry group Airlines for America said Tuesday.
Between June 1 and August 31, a whopping 2.8 million passengers per day are expected to fly on US airlines. That’s a total of 257.4 million flyers for the three-month period, an extra 93,000 daily passengers compared to last summer, a 3.4-percent increase. This year’s expected total would mark the tenth consecutive summer there’s been a summer travel record for passengers flying on US airlines.
Part of the reason for the influx of summer air travelers is cheap airfares. In 2018, inflation-adjusted airfares dropped in price for the fourth consecutive year, Airlines for America says, with an average US domestic ticket running about $350.
“With airlines offering low fares and reinvesting billions of dollars in their product, there’s never been a better time to fly,” Airlines for America Vice President and Chief Economist John Heimlich said in a release. “Air travel is the nation’s safest form of transportation, and it is now more affordable than ever before. US carriers are making airline flights more and more accessible, so it’s no surprise that more and more Americans are flying.”
Thankfully, US carriers are adding 111,000 seats per day through the summer to accommodate the tens of thousands of extra flyers.
But be warned: Airport security checkpoints around the country could be choked by the extra travelers passing through. So, if you haven’t applied for TSA PreCheck yet, now’s your chance to enroll in the program to beat the summer crowds. Many travel rewards credit cards offer a credit to cover the cost of signing up for TSA PreCheck. Here’s a list of the top seven credit cards for PreCheck and Global Entry.
Featured photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees