Stranded WOW Passengers Turn to GoFundMe For Help
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The recent collapse of WOW air has left more than a few travelers stranded with few options. While some airlines stepped in to offer rescue fares for former WOW passengers, some travelers have turned to the internet to find help in a different way: GoFundMe pages to help with their current travel woes.
The demise of WOW air left these four college students stranded in Iceland. They have met their $2,800 goal in less than one day with the support of almost 50 people. The students say that the money is going to pay off their credit card for the purchase of new tickets.
In another case, Mallory Katherine started a GoFundMe for friend Jenna McMahon, who go stuck in Iceland — on her birthday no less — with her mother after the WOW air shuttering. Katherine is attempting to help McMahon raise $2,000 to cover the cost of rebooking new tickets and hotel rooms while McMahon figures out a way to get home. Katherine is encouraging people to “help a girl out and save her birthday with a donation towards getting home or at least buying her a beer while she’s waiting it out.”
For another college student, set travel dates mean that the rescue fares aren’t an option. She is studying abroad in Germany, but isn’t scheduled to return to the United States until the end of April, which is past the travel window for the rescue fares offered by other airlines. Her funding goal has already been met, again in less than one day, with donations from only seven people.
For most passengers, the idea of an airline shuttering while you are traveling is not likely to cross your mind. While there isn’t currently another airline on the industry radar that looks to be in trouble, taking steps to protect yourself from these and other travel disruptions is always a good step.
What’s the easiest way to make sure you’re covered? Book with a credit card that offers travel protection. Cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve offer outstanding travel protection — up to $10,000 for trip cancellation or interruption. This means that should your travel be disrupted, you are covered and won’t be out of pocket to cover the additional cost of hotel rooms. These cards also offer other protections for things like baggage delays, trip delays and even medical emergency evacuations. So next time you’re ready to book your trip, be sure to book using a card that offers travel protection. It will give you added insurance should you need to use it.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by WOW air
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.