Stranded WOW Passengers Turn to GoFundMe For Help
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The recent collapse of WOW air has left more than a few travelers stranded with few options. While some airlines stepped in to offer rescue fares for former WOW passengers, some travelers have turned to the internet to find help in a different way: GoFundMe pages to help with their current travel woes.
The demise of WOW air left these four college students stranded in Iceland. They have met their $2,800 goal in less than one day with the support of almost 50 people. The students say that the money is going to pay off their credit card for the purchase of new tickets.
In another case, Mallory Katherine started a GoFundMe for friend Jenna McMahon, who go stuck in Iceland — on her birthday no less — with her mother after the WOW air shuttering. Katherine is attempting to help McMahon raise $2,000 to cover the cost of rebooking new tickets and hotel rooms while McMahon figures out a way to get home. Katherine is encouraging people to “help a girl out and save her birthday with a donation towards getting home or at least buying her a beer while she’s waiting it out.”
For another college student, set travel dates mean that the rescue fares aren’t an option. She is studying abroad in Germany, but isn’t scheduled to return to the United States until the end of April, which is past the travel window for the rescue fares offered by other airlines. Her funding goal has already been met, again in less than one day, with donations from only seven people.
For most passengers, the idea of an airline shuttering while you are traveling is not likely to cross your mind. While there isn’t currently another airline on the industry radar that looks to be in trouble, taking steps to protect yourself from these and other travel disruptions is always a good step.
What’s the easiest way to make sure you’re covered? Book with a credit card that offers travel protection. Cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve offer outstanding travel protection — up to $10,000 for trip cancellation or interruption. This means that should your travel be disrupted, you are covered and won’t be out of pocket to cover the additional cost of hotel rooms. These cards also offer other protections for things like baggage delays, trip delays and even medical emergency evacuations. So next time you’re ready to book your trip, be sure to book using a card that offers travel protection. It will give you added insurance should you need to use it.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by WOW air
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees