Star Alliance Adds a New Connecting Partner for Flights in Asia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Star Alliance is getting a new member. Well, sort of. The global airline alliance has announced its adding Thai Smile Airways as a Star Alliance Connecting Partner.
Star Alliance is one of the world’s largest alliances, and its full members include airlines like United, Lufthansa, TAP Portugal, Avianca and South African Airways. Thai Smile is the second Star Alliance Connecting Partner. Chinese carrier Juneyao Airlines was added as the first Connecting Partner in 2017.
Star Alliance Connecting Partners operate differently than a normal full-on, Star Alliance partner. Whereas a full member airline must have “commercial relationships” with all other members, a connecting partner only needs to have relationships with a minimum of three airlines.
Still, flyers on connecting Star Alliance itineraries will enjoy standard benefits such as passenger and baggage through check-in. Those with Star Alliance Gold Status will be able to enjoy Thai Smile elite benefits, like priority check-in, Thai Smile lounge access and priority baggage delivery — when flying on an itinerary that includes a connection to a full Star Alliance member. It’s unclear if you’ll be able to earn and redeem miles of Star Alliance airline on Thai Smile flights, but you can already do that on Juneyao Airlines, so it’s likely it will be the same for Thai Smile.
So why add Thai Smile, an airline with just a small fleet of 20 Airbus A320s, to the Star Alliance? The group says that Connecting Partners help “close network gaps that may exist” on a regional basis. Once Thai Smiles is fully incorporated, it will add 11 new destinations to the Star Alliance network, which already comprises more than 1,300 airports in 194 countries.
Thai Smile is a fully owned subsidiary of the larger Thai Airways, also a Star Alliance member but with a much more extensive route network and fleet. Thai Smile has been branded as a low-cost carrier and serves domestic Thai destinations as well as international destinations like Myanmar, China, India, Taiwan and Hong Kong out of its main hub in Bangkok.
It will take a while before the airline is integrated into the Star Alliance system as the airline is just now starting to implement the “technology and commercial links” to begin serving Star Alliance connecting passengers in 2020.
Featured image courtesy of Star Alliance.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.