Star Alliance Adds a New Connecting Partner for Flights in Asia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Star Alliance is getting a new member. Well, sort of. The global airline alliance has announced its adding Thai Smile Airways as a Star Alliance Connecting Partner.
Star Alliance is one of the world’s largest alliances, and its full members include airlines like United, Lufthansa, TAP Portugal, Avianca and South African Airways. Thai Smile is the second Star Alliance Connecting Partner. Chinese carrier Juneyao Airlines was added as the first Connecting Partner in 2017.
Star Alliance Connecting Partners operate differently than a normal full-on, Star Alliance partner. Whereas a full member airline must have “commercial relationships” with all other members, a connecting partner only needs to have relationships with a minimum of three airlines.
Still, flyers on connecting Star Alliance itineraries will enjoy standard benefits such as passenger and baggage through check-in. Those with Star Alliance Gold Status will be able to enjoy Thai Smile elite benefits, like priority check-in, Thai Smile lounge access and priority baggage delivery — when flying on an itinerary that includes a connection to a full Star Alliance member. It’s unclear if you’ll be able to earn and redeem miles of Star Alliance airline on Thai Smile flights, but you can already do that on Juneyao Airlines, so it’s likely it will be the same for Thai Smile.
So why add Thai Smile, an airline with just a small fleet of 20 Airbus A320s, to the Star Alliance? The group says that Connecting Partners help “close network gaps that may exist” on a regional basis. Once Thai Smiles is fully incorporated, it will add 11 new destinations to the Star Alliance network, which already comprises more than 1,300 airports in 194 countries.
Thai Smile is a fully owned subsidiary of the larger Thai Airways, also a Star Alliance member but with a much more extensive route network and fleet. Thai Smile has been branded as a low-cost carrier and serves domestic Thai destinations as well as international destinations like Myanmar, China, India, Taiwan and Hong Kong out of its main hub in Bangkok.
It will take a while before the airline is integrated into the Star Alliance system as the airline is just now starting to implement the “technology and commercial links” to begin serving Star Alliance connecting passengers in 2020.
Featured image courtesy of Star Alliance.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees