How I refunded a Spirit Airlines ticket in 2 minutes via text message
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Put the terms “Spirit Airlines” and “requesting a flight refund” in the same sentence and you might imagine a painfully arduous, time-consuming and perhaps borderline impossible process. But, at least for now, you’d (shockingly) be wrong.
Months ago, I booked a pair of Spirit Airlines tickets from Houston to Las Vegas at the airport to save some cash. But now, the once-exciting plan of a quick budget-friendly trip to Vegas to celebrate my husband’s early May birthday was no longer a good idea. Like millions of other travelers, we were left needing to cancel our Spirit Airlines flights.
Luckily, I’d already received notice of a “flight change notification” for our flights when Spirit changed our nonstop early afternoon departure to a late evening departure, which wouldn’t have worked for us even if it was safe to travel right now. To better align operations with demand during coronavirus realities, Spirit, like every other airline, has dramatically reduced operations. This means that my original flight was canceled (though the change notification email didn’t use that term), thus opening up the ability for me to request a true refund, rather than just a future flight credit.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The email encouraged me to “click here” to cancel and receive a reservation credit. But, it went on to say that there was an online FAQ that outlined other options, including information on refunds — yes, please.
While there wasn’t a way to request a refund without contacting Spirit Airlines, the FAQs revealed a virtually painless way to contact the airline … text message.
To get a Spirit Airlines refund, you can text 48763 using regular old-fashioned text messages or use WhatsApp 801-401-2222 and simply start the conversation by sending the text, “Hello.”
Immediately, the system responded with a follow-up text that included a few multiple-choice questions about my reservation and my cancellation preferences.
Within one minute, I was offered by text the option to cancel and get a refund or receive a reservation credit for the full value of my booking, plus a $50 Spirit Airlines voucher. Normally, that would be pretty tempting as $50 can go a long way on Spirit. However, I have no idea when I’ll book additional future leisure travel on Spirit, so it was probably best for me to just get the money back and start fresh when the time comes.
Within two minutes, the texting back and forth process was complete. You do need to have your flight confirmation number and the email associated with the reservation handy to complete the process.
A few hours later, I received a text from an actual person at Spirit confirming that my refund of $66.82 was issued, which indeed posted back to my credit card that same day.
Spirit Airlines’ refund process was painless. There were no hoops to jump through, no funny fees involved, no long hold times, no mind-numbing hold music, nothing but a straightforward process. Taking apart trips you were looking forward to is sad, but it helps tremendously when the process is this simple.
While it can be quirky, I already kinda loved flying Spirit Airlines for certain types of trips. This simple process solidified that I’ll 100% be a return customer when it’s again time to plan leisure trips to destinations such as Las Vegas, Orlando and beyond.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees