Spirit Airlines Is Letting You Book Flights by Text — But It Will Cost You $25
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines is known for nickel-and-diming its passengers, and its latest update is no exception. America’s most notorious budget airline is introducing a convenient new feature — but at a price. $25, to be exact.
The Washington Post reports that starting Sept. 1, you’ll be able to text the airline via WhatsApp and ask all of your most pressing questions about flight reservations, travel modifications and other items in both English and Spanish. Similar to a regular phone call, you’ll first be connected to a chatbot to help with any basic questions you might have. Then a Spirit agent will take over, reports CNBC. From there, the agent will send you an external link via the app to complete your reservation. You’ll have to be in the United States, the Caribbean or Latin America to take advantage of the service.
Reactions to the news on social media so far have been pretty negative. For many people, it reinforces their disdain of the airline due to the lack of passenger-friendly customer service practices.
While this may sound outrageous to some, it’s actually no different than what the airline charges over the phone. Instead, you just have the convenience of not having to speak to another person — and you also may avoid long hold times on the phone while your request is processed by chat. And, for comparison’s sake, other airlines — including United and American — also charge non-elite customers anywhere from $25 to $35 to book reservations over the phone.
Meanwhile, Spirit sees the development as a way to “better connect with guests,” according to Bobby Schroeter, the airline’s vice president of sales and marketing. He continues: “We know WhatsApp is incredibly popular in the United States, but also in the more than two dozen destinations we serve in the Caribbean and Latin America. From travel updates to adding a bag to your reservation, this new messaging service allows Guests to communicate with us in English and Spanish and to opt in to WhatsApp messaging. It is all part of our goal to elevate and improve our Guest experience.”
While this could be a convenient development for some Spirit Airlines flyers, the airline has a long way to go in terms overall customer service. It ranked #9 out of 10 on our list of the Best and Worst Airlines in the US this year. It has the second-worst frequent-flyer program and room for improvement in the cabin comfort department. That said, you get what you pay for — so don’t expect any bells and whistles.
Featured image courtesy of Saul Martinez/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees