Spirit Airlines moves operations center inland to Nashville
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines is doubling down in Nashville with plans to move its operations center to the city from Florida next year.
The low-cost carrier will build a new Operational Control Center outside of Nashville by 2021, Spirit said Thursday. The city is a newer one for Spirit, which began serving just last year. The investment will boost “resiliency and reduce hurricane and tropical storm risk” by moving its critical operations functions out of South Florida.
Spirit will base more than 240 operations staff in the new facility, which will replace its existing operations center near Fort Lauderdale.
Operations centers are the nerve center of airlines’ day-to-day functions. All flights are managed and monitored from these facilities, ensuring that a carrier stays in the air seven days a week and 365 days a year.
Spirit’s decision to build its new operations facility in Nashville comes as it builds a new headquarters in Fort Lauderdale (FLL), its largest base. While most airlines locate their operations centers at or near their headquarters, the move to middle Tennessee put the facility nearly 400 miles from the nearest coastline.
“We look forward to building on our plans for future expansion and protecting our growing 24/7 operation by starting this new chapter in Nashville,” said Spirit CEO Ted Christie in a statement.
The airline began service to Nashville (BNA) with five daily flights to as many cities in October, according to Cirium schedule data. Spirit plans to more than double that by June with up to 11 flights a day to 10 cities.
For comparison, Southwest Airlines — the largest carrier in Nashville — will operate more than 130 daily departures from the airport in June, the data shows.
The new operations center comes as Spirit continues to make traveler-focused investments. These include everything from better on-time performance to new seats, a refreshed cabin and — hopefully this year — inflight Wi-Fi.
Featured image courtesy of Spirit Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees