Spain will require all arriving travelers to quarantine for 14 days
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning May 15, Spain will require that all passengers arriving from international destinations self-quarantine for two weeks in an effort to curb the coronavirus from entering the country from abroad. The quarantine requirement will stay in effect through the country’s state of emergency period on May 24, but may be extended.
Upon arrival to the country, travelers will be required to complete a location card with contact and accommodation information so authorities can contact them during the two-week quarantine period. The restrictions apply to both Spanish nationals and international travelers.
Those subjected to the quarantine will be allowed out for essential needs like food, pharmaceutical products, seeking medical attention and for emergency situations. However, if they go outside, they’ll be required to wear a face mask.
The government has said there will be some exceptions, such as freight carriers, airline crew and healthcare workers, so long as they haven’t been in contact with anyone known to have the coronavirus.
“During the period of de-escalation, the monitoring and health control measures for all international travellers (arriving in Spain) should be increased, to avoid the imported cases,” the order from Spain’s health ministry said.
Spain is still under a state of emergency until at least May 23, however, restrictions in some low-risk territories have been lifted. Prior to the easing of some restrictions, Spain had been under strict lockdown since March 14.
The policy from Spain is similar to what has been announced in the U.K. On Sunday night’s televised address from Prime Minister Boris Johnson, he said that arriving international air travelers would be required to self-isolate for 14 days. However, that was later changed to reflect that all arriving travelers, regardless of how they crossed into the U.K., will have to self-isolate for 14 days, with some exceptions.
Details on the specifics of the U.K.’s quarantine remain vague. There’s still no start or end date in place. Additionally, the government has made clear that the restriction doesn’t apply to travelers arriving from Ireland, Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man and France.
For travelers eyeing a trip to Spain, keep in mind that the Foreign & Commonwealth Office still advises against all non-essential travel.
According to Johns Hopkins University, more than 26,000 deaths have been recorded in Spain.
Featured photo by Xavi Torrent/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees