‘Spain will be waiting for you from July’ says prime minister
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spain is planning to reopen its borders to foreign visitors as soon as July 1, but it’s still unclear if that means everyone.
The announcement was made during a press conference with Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez on Saturday morning.
“As you know, Spain receives more than 80 million visitors a year. I am announcing that from July, Spain will reopen for foreign tourism in conditions of safety,” said Prime Minister Sánchez. “Spain needs tourism, and tourism needs safety in both origin and destination. We will guarantee that tourists will not run any risks, nor will they bring any risk to our country.”
Those 80 million visitors make up 15% of Spain’s GDP.
The conditions of safety that Sánchez speaks of have not been officially outlined yet, but as of May 15, visitors to Spain are required to quarantine for 14 days. Additionally, it’s unclear if there will be any restrictions for visitors from certain countries.
As more countries around the world begin to reopen, many are placing restrictions on international visitors or talking about forming “travel bubbles” with nearby countries. Greece, for instance, is planning to reopen for tourism on June 15 though as of now, non-EU citizens will not be permitted.
In terms of coronavirus, Spain was one of the hardest hit countries in the world with more than 28,000 deaths due to COVID-19. After two months of one the world’s strictest lockdowns, the country began easing some of its restrictions in early May.
On May 25, the entire country will assess whether it’s ready for either Phase 1 or Phase 2 of Spain’s de-escalation plan. This means that many Spaniards will finally be able to reunite with friends and family. Starting on June 8, Spain’s football league La Liga will finally be able to resume playing.
Featured photo by Prasit Photo/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees