Southwest Keeps 737 MAX Off Schedule Into September
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines will keep the 737 MAX off its schedule through Labor Day. The largest US domestic carrier joins the world’s largest airline, American, in extending its grounding expectations for the aircraft.
The airline is now set to reintroduce the MAX to its schedule on September 2.
In a statement on Thursday, Southwest said that the decision was made in an effort to provide clarity for its passengers, even as the industry faces uncertainty from regulators about exactly when the workhorse jet will be allowed to return to the skies.
“By proactively removing the MAX from scheduled service, we can reduce last-minute flight cancellations and unexpected disruptions to our customers’ travel plans,” the statement said. “We are encouraged by the reported progress and proposed path forward for returning the aircraft to service, and we remain confident that, once certified by the FAA, the enhancements will support the safe operation of the MAX.”
Boeing’s 737 MAXes have been grounded globally since March over safety concerns following two fatal accidents involving the jets.
Featured image by Mark Ralston/AFP/Getty Images
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees