Bird Strike Forces Southwest Flight to Make Emergency Landing in Nashville
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest flight was forced to make an emergency landing at Nashville International Airport (BNA) on Wednesday after experiencing a bird strike shortly after takeoff.
Southwest Flight 577 traveling from Nashville (BNA) to Phoenix (PHX) declared an emergency after takeoff once it experienced the bird strike. The Boeing 737-700 — registration N937WN — departed BNA around 5:15am on Wednesday before flying around 20 minutes and returning to BNA at 5:37am.
Flight 577 landed safely back at BNA. No injuries were reported.
Southwest said N937WN has been taken out of service for maintenance, and it’s working to get passengers on board the flight rebooked on a new one. At 7:52am WN577 took off once again, bound for PHX.
The incident comes just one day after an engine failure occurred on a Southwest plane. After the engine experienced failure, pieces of shrapnel shattered a window, resulting in one passenger partially being sucked out of the aircraft. The passenger, Jennifer Riordan, 43, later died. Seven other passengers were injured. Preliminary NTSB findings show that the engine showed signs of “metal fatigue.”
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees