Bird Strike Forces Southwest Flight to Make Emergency Landing in Nashville
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest flight was forced to make an emergency landing at Nashville International Airport (BNA) on Wednesday after experiencing a bird strike shortly after takeoff.
Southwest Flight 577 traveling from Nashville (BNA) to Phoenix (PHX) declared an emergency after takeoff once it experienced the bird strike. The Boeing 737-700 — registration N937WN — departed BNA around 5:15am on Wednesday before flying around 20 minutes and returning to BNA at 5:37am.
Flight 577 landed safely back at BNA. No injuries were reported.
Southwest said N937WN has been taken out of service for maintenance, and it’s working to get passengers on board the flight rebooked on a new one. At 7:52am WN577 took off once again, bound for PHX.
The incident comes just one day after an engine failure occurred on a Southwest plane. After the engine experienced failure, pieces of shrapnel shattered a window, resulting in one passenger partially being sucked out of the aircraft. The passenger, Jennifer Riordan, 43, later died. Seven other passengers were injured. Preliminary NTSB findings show that the engine showed signs of “metal fatigue.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.