Bird Strike Forces Southwest Flight to Make Emergency Landing in Nashville
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest flight was forced to make an emergency landing at Nashville International Airport (BNA) on Wednesday after experiencing a bird strike shortly after takeoff.
Southwest Flight 577 traveling from Nashville (BNA) to Phoenix (PHX) declared an emergency after takeoff once it experienced the bird strike. The Boeing 737-700 — registration N937WN — departed BNA around 5:15am on Wednesday before flying around 20 minutes and returning to BNA at 5:37am.
Flight 577 landed safely back at BNA. No injuries were reported.
Southwest said N937WN has been taken out of service for maintenance, and it’s working to get passengers on board the flight rebooked on a new one. At 7:52am WN577 took off once again, bound for PHX.
The incident comes just one day after an engine failure occurred on a Southwest plane. After the engine experienced failure, pieces of shrapnel shattered a window, resulting in one passenger partially being sucked out of the aircraft. The passenger, Jennifer Riordan, 43, later died. Seven other passengers were injured. Preliminary NTSB findings show that the engine showed signs of “metal fatigue.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.