Check if you’re targeted to earn a 30% spend bonus on your Southwest credit card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
Southwest credit cards are popular with Southwest flyers. But, one area where these cards fall somewhat short — along with most other cobranded airline credit cards — is earning rates. However, some Southwest cardholders will soon have the opportunity to boost their returns with a targeted spend bonus.
Deals We Like recently reported that some Southwest credit card holders are targeted for a 30% Rapid Rewards points bonus. Even better, these points count toward the points you’ll need to earn within a calendar year to qualify for the Southwest Companion Pass. So, let’s take a look at what you need to know about this promotion.
To stay up to date on news like this, sign up for our daily newsletter.
How to find out if you’re eligible
This promotion does not appear to be open to everyone. To find out if you’re eligible, log in to the Promotions page of your Southwest account. If you’re targeted for this offer, you’ll see a promotion titled “Earn 30% bonus points.”
Note that you will need to register for the promotion between July 1, 2020 and Oct. 31, 2020. Once you do so, you’ll see green text appear below the promotion stating that you are registered.
To qualify, you’ll first have to register for the promotion and then earn at least 6,000 Rapid Rewards points on your Southwest credit card between Aug. 1, 2020 and Oct. 31, 2020. These points will need to post to your Rapid Rewards account under the category of “credit card” during August, September or October to count.
To make this promotion clear, let’s consider an example. If you have 2,000 points from your Rapid Rewards credit card post to your account each month during the promotion, you’ll earn a 30% bonus on these 6,000 points. This means you’ll get 1,800 bonus points from Southwest, which are worth $27 based on TPG’s valuations.
Through this promotion, you can earn up to 25,000 bonus points. Based on TPG’s valuations, 25,000 Southwest points are worth $375.
Perhaps best of all, the promotion page notes that bonus points earned through this promotion will count toward earning the Southwest Companion Pass. However, the bonus points will not count toward A-List or A-List Preferred qualification.
And, the promotion notes that points earned from a credit card sign-up bonus and points transferred from Chase Ultimate Rewards will not be eligible for the 30% bonus. Bonus points will post directly to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account, although bonus points may not post to your account until up to eight weeks after the promotion ends.
Earning on Southwest credit cards
Normally, the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card, Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card and Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card earn 2 points per dollar (a 3% return based on TPG’s current valuations) on Southwest purchases and purchases made with Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partners. And, these cards earn 1 point per dollar (1.5% return) everywhere else. So, with the promotion, you could earn 2.6 points per dollar (3.9% return) on bonus spend and 1.3 points per dollar (1.95% return) on everything else.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card offers a slightly higher earning rate. Specifically, with this card you normally earn 3 points per dollar (4.5% return based on TPG’s current valuations) on Southwest purchases made with Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partners. You also earn 2 points per dollar (3% return) on social media and search engine advertising, internet, cable and phone services. And, you earn 1 point (1.5% return) per dollar spent on all other purchases. After this promotion is taken into account, you could earn 3.9 points per dollar (5.85% return) on flights, 2.6 points per dollar (3.9% return) on the mid-tier bonus categories and 1.3 points per dollar (1.95% return) on everything else.
We usually don’t recommend putting a lot of spend on a cobranded airline credit card. But, it can make sense for some people to do so with this promotion. Even with the bonus, you might not be getting the best returns for travel purchases or everyday spending. However, the maximum of 25,000 points can go a long way for those chasing the coveted Southwest Companion Pass.
Additional reporting by Katherine Fan, Jennifer Yellin and Julian Mark Kheel. Featured image by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.