Southwest Airlines Tickets Can Once Again Be Paid for Using Ultimate Rewards Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Attention Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders: we’ve got good news. As reported by View from the Wing on Sunday, you can once again book tickets on Southwest Airlines using your Chase Ultimate Rewards points at a fixed value.
When Chase made the switch to using Expedia as its booking engine for cardmembers last year, the ability to book Southwest tickets using Ultimate Rewards points at a fixed value to buy the ticket was lost. Southwest generally doesn’t allow tickets to be booked any way other than directly through Southwest.
While you can transfer your Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest at a 1:1 ratio, in some cases you are better off using your Chase points to simply pay for the ticket. When you do that, Southwest deems it a paid ticket rather than an award ticket, meaning that you will earn Rapid Rewards points on the flight and can add the points to your tally for earning status and the Companion Pass with Southwest — without spending cash.
TPG called Chase to test out the news, at which time a representative confirmed that this option is only available to Reserve and Preferred cardholders, and also that paying for Southwest tickets using your Chase Ultimate Rewards points can only be done by calling Chase Travel at (866) 951-6592.
This new — or rather restored — ability will be welcomed by those Chase cardmembers who prefer to fly with Southwest.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees