Southwest Airlines suffers systemwide computer outage for second time in 24 hours
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines experienced a system outage Tuesday afternoon, leading to widespread delays and cancellations as the airline raced to get its network back online.
At the airline’s request, The Federal Aviation Administration issued a nationwide groundstop for all Southwest flights shortly after 3 p.m. ET. The outage was Southwest’s second in less than 24 hours, after a similar system failure led to a groundstop Monday night.
Disruptions were being reported across Southwest’s network. More than 475 Southwest flights – about 14% of the carrier’s entire Tuesday schedule – had been canceled as of 4:05 p.m. ET, according to flight-tracking website FlightAware. Another 1,233 Southwest flights — or about 36% of the day’s schedule — were delayed.
Delta Air Lines and Alaska Airlines also experienced system issues Monday night, although the issues appeared to be fixed by Tuesday.
Southwest acknowledged the glitch in a Tuesday afternoon statement to TPG, saying it “is in the process of resuming normal operations after a brief pause in our flight activity resulting from intermittent performance issues with our network connectivity Tuesday afternoon.
“Our Teams are working quickly to minimize flight disruptions and Customer impact,” Southwest added in its statement. “We appreciate our Customers’ patience as we work to get them to their destinations.”
Monday night’s issue at Southwest appeared to be caused by a third-party system that provides weather information for pilots. It was not immediately clear whether the two outages were related or caused by the same thing.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees