Southwest unveils new ‘freedom’ livery, gives workers 50,000 points for 50th anniversary
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest unveiled a new aircraft livery on Friday as it celebrated its 50th anniversary. The carrier also said it would dole out 50,000 Rapid Rewards frequent flyer points to its workforce of more than 55,000 people.
The livery, dubbed “Freedom One,” is meant as a nod to members and veterans of the armed forces, including nearly 8,000 Southwest employees.
The American-flag design on the Boeing 737-800 — Southwest’s first -800 with a special livery — was meant to evoke the idea of “freedom” to align with the anniversary date, the airline said, linking “freedom” with 50 years of the “freedom to travel.”
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
“The word ‘freedom’ has significant meaning to the People and history of Southwest Airlines,” Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said. “We simply couldn’t fulfill our purpose if not for the sacrifices and dedication of our military men and women.
Freedom One features the 13 stripes and 50 stars of the American flag — another link to the 50th anniversary, the airline said.
As part of the unveiling and celebration, which occurred at an employee party and rally in Houston, each employee at Southwest was given 50,000 Rapid Rewards points.
“Southwest revolutionized the travel industry since our very first flight on June 18, 1971—a time when less than 15% of Americans ever had traveled by air,” Kelly said. “The people of Southwest democratized the skies with friendly, reliable, and affordable air travel, and what better way to honor you, our employees, on our 50th Anniversary than by offering a gift of 50,000 Rapid Rewards points.”
Following the employee event, Freedom One will depart Houston for Dallas Love Field (DAL), a tribute to Southwest’s first flight (which actually went in the opposite direction). The flight is slated to fly a new approach into DAL named HERBZ, for Southwest co-founder Herb Kelleher.
TPG will be aboard the flight, so stay tuned for more from Southwest’s 50th!
Featured image courtesy of Southwest Airlines/Stephen M. Keller
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees