Southwest Airlines to Add Hilo as Fifth Hawaiian Island Destination
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just two months ago, Southwest Airlines began operating flights to Hawaii, and the airline is now ready to announce an expansion to a fifth destination within the Aloha State. Joining the destinations of Honolulu International Airport (HNL), Lihue Airport (LIH), Kona International Airport (KOA) and Kahului Airport (OGG) will be Hilo International Airport (ITO).
Big news for the Island of Hawaii! We’re excited to announce that Hilo will be the fifth airport served by Southwest in the Hawaiian Islands.
We’ll let you know when our low fares and interisland flights for Hilo are available for purchase. pic.twitter.com/HkwXSJA9OU
— Southwest Airlines (@SouthwestAir) May 11, 2019
Currently, Southwest only operates flights from the mainland to HNL (Oahu) and OGG (Maui), but there are intra-island flights connecting those Hawaiian destinations to KOA beginning on May 12. Thus far, there are not public launch dates for Southwest flights to LIH on Kauai, or to the new second destination on the Big Island, ITO.
When Southwest flights to Hawaii first launched, intra-island fares were as low as $29 and can still be found on many dates from $49 or 2,830 Rapid Reward points each way. Use the 30-day calendar view to spot the cheapest dates to island hop.
More destinations and more carrier options are good things when it comes to planning a Hawaiian vacation using your miles and points. While we don’t yet know when Southwest Airlines flights to Hilo (or Lihue) will launch, it is good to know they are coming. In the meantime, you can get a flavor for Southwest’s approach to Hawaii by checking out the review of the first Southwest passenger flight from Honolulu to Oakland.
Featured image by Jessica Puckett/The Points Guy
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees