Watch Airbus A340s Perform a Stunning Flyby Over a South African Stadium
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
South African Airways showed off stunning airmanship skills on Saturday in a flyover demonstration for the presidential inauguration in South Africa. Two of the airline’s A340s flew in formation along with fighter jets from the South African Air Force, proving that airliners are capable of spectacular performance passengers never see.
A number of Twitter users have posted some impressive videos of the flyover. A view from the cockpit of the trailing A340 shows just how close the two aircraft were flying in the formation.
On the inside, South African’s A30-600s feature a now-dated business class in a 2-2-2 layout, which will likely stay until the airline retires its A340s. The airline’s smaller but more recent A330s feature a far better 1-2-1 layout.
On the outside, though, the A340s are as sleek and beautiful as when they were first flown in 1991, and as these videow show, they are capable of stunning feats in the right hands. (And, of course, there were no passengers on board.)
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.