Siri Can Now Give Updates on American Airlines Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Siri is gaining new tricks to help you travel. Apple announced last summer that its digital assistant would be adding the ability to use “Siri Shortcuts,” and since the announcement, the company says, there are now more than 1,000 apps that can use shortcuts.
Recently Siri gained the ability to help you stay informed about upcoming flights with with American Airlines. The new app integration comes on the heels of AA now offering free access to Apple Music while on board for your domestic flights.
The new short cut allows you to access your flight information by simply asking Siri to give you an update on your flight.
American isn’t the first airline to get this integration. Both British Airways and Lufthansa have the same type of helpful functionality for their apps.
If you’re looking to expand Siri’s travel usefulness even further, there are also integrations for FlightRadar24, VRBO, HomeAway, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Trip-IT, Waze and even Marriott’s new Bonvoy app.
While these app integrations can be helpful, you can also create your own automated, custom shortcuts for Siri by downloading the Shortcuts app from the App Store. You could, for example, create a shortcut that allows you to say “Hey, Siri, the main cabin door is closed,” which you could configure to have Siri put your phone into airplane mode and set other options like low power mode on your phone while you are in flight. You could pair that with a “wheels down” shortcut to take your phone out of airplane mode and send a message to someone that you have landed. Of course if you don’t want your fellow passengers giving you odd looks as you converse with Siri about your flight, you can always use the Shortcut widget to run the automation at the touch of a button instead of talking with your digital assistant.
Now if we could just get Siri to tell us which TSA check point has the shortest line or what black hole our lost luggage disappeared into, that would be really helpful.
Featured Photo via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees