A Stunning New Amusement Park Just Opened in Singapore Changi Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore’s Changi Airport is already one of the world’s greatest by practically any metric and this week it opened up another one-of-a-kind attraction. From the efficiency of its operation to its own movie theaters, SIN is one airport where you may actually yearn for a lengthy layover — particularly now that Canopy Park is open.
TPG‘s Ethan Steinberg took a tour of The Jewel, the latest elaborate addition to Changi, just last month but the Canopy Park section wasn’t quite ready. Beginning June 10, 2019, those additional 14,000 square feet of attractions are open. Top designers from the UK, France, Holland, Singapore and Germany worked on sections like the Mirror Maze, Manulife Sky Nets and Discovery Slides. Once you’re done gawking and bouncing, you can enjoy a view of the HSBC Rain Vortex and Shiseido Forest Valley from the Canopy Bridge, a bridge with glass panel flooring suspended 23 meters above ground.
Integrated with the attractions are interactive garden spaces aimed to make you forget you’re in the midst of metal and concrete jungles. Topiary Walk features animal topiaries such as an orangutan, crocodile, elephant, peacock and chameleon, while Petal Garden boasts seasonal displays of flowers. Along the main loop that connects these attractions are four noteworthy trees, including a pair of olive trees and the Lover’s Tree which earned its name because of its conjoined trunks.
Canopy Park is essentially a small theme park residing within an airport, so you’re apt to run out of time between connections before you’re able to see and do everything that’s available. There are also eight food and beverage outlets at Canopy Park.
“When Canopy Park was conceptualized,” said Hung Jean, CEO of Jewel Changi Airport Development, “we envisaged a green natural environment with play and leisure activities for people of all ages. Importantly, we wanted to create a space where activities that are traditionally conducted outdoors are brought to an indoor environment so that they can be enjoyed under all weather conditions.”
According to a press release on the opening and other announcements from Changi, admission to Canopy Park will be S$4.50 for Singapore residents and S$5 for everyone else (about $3.70 in US dollars). Some attractions will be free; tickets to others will cost S$7.20 to S$19.80.
If Singapore is on your travel radar, be sure to check out our guides below for money-saving tips and curated recommendations.
- The Best Ways to Get to Singapore Using Points and Miles
- 3 Ways to Do Singapore on Points
- Maximizing Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Partner Awards
- 18 Hours in Nonstop Style: Singapore Business Class on the World’s Longest Flight
- Inside The Jewel, the Stunning New Addition at Singapore’s Changi Airport
Featured image by Ethan Steinberg / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees