A Stunning New Amusement Park Just Opened in Singapore Changi Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore’s Changi Airport is already one of the world’s greatest by practically any metric and this week it opened up another one-of-a-kind attraction. From the efficiency of its operation to its own movie theaters, SIN is one airport where you may actually yearn for a lengthy layover — particularly now that Canopy Park is open.
TPG‘s Ethan Steinberg took a tour of The Jewel, the latest elaborate addition to Changi, just last month but the Canopy Park section wasn’t quite ready. Beginning June 10, 2019, those additional 14,000 square feet of attractions are open. Top designers from the UK, France, Holland, Singapore and Germany worked on sections like the Mirror Maze, Manulife Sky Nets and Discovery Slides. Once you’re done gawking and bouncing, you can enjoy a view of the HSBC Rain Vortex and Shiseido Forest Valley from the Canopy Bridge, a bridge with glass panel flooring suspended 23 meters above ground.
Integrated with the attractions are interactive garden spaces aimed to make you forget you’re in the midst of metal and concrete jungles. Topiary Walk features animal topiaries such as an orangutan, crocodile, elephant, peacock and chameleon, while Petal Garden boasts seasonal displays of flowers. Along the main loop that connects these attractions are four noteworthy trees, including a pair of olive trees and the Lover’s Tree which earned its name because of its conjoined trunks.
Canopy Park is essentially a small theme park residing within an airport, so you’re apt to run out of time between connections before you’re able to see and do everything that’s available. There are also eight food and beverage outlets at Canopy Park.
“When Canopy Park was conceptualized,” said Hung Jean, CEO of Jewel Changi Airport Development, “we envisaged a green natural environment with play and leisure activities for people of all ages. Importantly, we wanted to create a space where activities that are traditionally conducted outdoors are brought to an indoor environment so that they can be enjoyed under all weather conditions.”
According to a press release on the opening and other announcements from Changi, admission to Canopy Park will be S$4.50 for Singapore residents and S$5 for everyone else (about $3.70 in US dollars). Some attractions will be free; tickets to others will cost S$7.20 to S$19.80.
If Singapore is on your travel radar, be sure to check out our guides below for money-saving tips and curated recommendations.
- The Best Ways to Get to Singapore Using Points and Miles
- 3 Ways to Do Singapore on Points
- Maximizing Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Partner Awards
- 18 Hours in Nonstop Style: Singapore Business Class on the World’s Longest Flight
- Inside The Jewel, the Stunning New Addition at Singapore’s Changi Airport
Featured image by Ethan Steinberg / The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.