Silver Airways expands to Charleston, South Carolina, with 3 new routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Florida-based regional carrier Silver Airways is resuming the growth it put on hiatus early in the coronavirus pandemic with plans to land in Charleston, South Carolina, in November.
The airline will launch three new routes between Charleston (CHS) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA) on Nov. 23, Silver unveiled on Oct. 13. The flights will operate three-times weekly on each route with new ATR 42 and 72 turboprops.
Silver’s expansion plans come as air travel in the Sun Belt has recovered faster than other places in the U.S. Many airlines have piled on with new flights to Florida, including JetBlue Airways, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines, while Silver is taking the unique approach of connecting two warmer-weather destinations within the South.
“As the southeastern United States safely re-opens, Silver welcomes back military, leisure, and business travelers with Silver’s low fares and reliable service,” Steve Rossum, CEO of Silver, said in a statement.
The additions come as Silver plans to fly roughly 60% of what it flew a year ago in November, according to Cirium schedules. The airline’s international operations between Florida and the Bahamas is scheduled at barely a third of what it was in 2019.
Silver had planned to begin Charleston service in May but put those on hold amid coronavirus travel restrictions.
American Airlines, JetBlue Airways and United Airlines frequent flyers can earn miles on select Silver flights. However, none of these agreements appear to include the new Charleston service yet.
Separately, Silver may be retrenching in New England. The airline lost the government contract to provide essential air service to Bar Harbor, Maine (BHB), to Cape Air in September. Silver has appealed the decision. However, with local support for Cape Air, it is unclear whether they will succeed.
Silver flew between Boston Logan (BOS) and Bar Harbor under a codeshare with JetBlue. However, JetBlue frequent flyers can also earn and redeem points on Cape Air flights.
— Edward Russell (@ByERussell) August 27, 2020
Featured image courtesy of Silver Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees