Quick Points: Don’t have Amazon Prime? ShopRunner might be a good alternative
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
By this time, most of us have heard of Amazon Prime, the online retail giant’s subscription service. It includes free expedited shipping and access to streaming entertainment including movies, TV shows, music and podcasts. But if you don’t want to pony up $119 per year (plus taxes), and all you’re interested in is free shipping on online purchases, you might benefit from enrolling in ShopRunner instead.
Here’s what you need to know about ShopRunner and how your credit card might provide the service for free.
What is ShopRunner?
ShopRunner is a subscription service that offers members free two-day shipping, free returns and special deals at over 100 online retail partners like CB2, Fanatics, Lancome, Saks Fifth Avenue, Charlotte Tilbury, Swanson Health and more.
To use ShopRunner, you need to create an account on the site and then navigate to the retailer’s page from there. You can also simply shop online directly on the merchant’s site and then select the ShopRunner option at checkout, when you will need to provide your ShopRunner login details. Just note that not all items qualify for the ShopRunner shipping benefit, and there are sometimes minimum dollar amounts for orders.
Now, Amazon sells pretty much everything under the sun while ShopRunner only partners with a limited number of stores and brands. However, if those are the ones you do the most business with, you can get a lot of use out of a ShopRunner membership versus Amazon Prime.
The annual fee for ShopRunner is $79. But many credit cards offer a free membership as one of their under-the-radar benefits.
Use a credit card to get ShopRunner for free
If you have an American Express, Chase, World Mastercard or World Elite Mastercard, you might be eligible for a free ShopRunner membership.
American Express cards with complimentary ShopRunner
Among the American Express cards that offer this as one of their perks are:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express.
- American Express® Gold Card.
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express.
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express.
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card.
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card.
To activate this benefit with your American Express card, you must enroll here, and your account must be open for you to continue enjoying ShopRunner membership for free. Enrollment is required, and terms apply.
Chase cards with complimentary ShopRunner
Certain Chase cardholders are eligible to enroll by Feb. 28, 2022, for a year of free ShopRunner, too. Although not the complete list, the following cards are currently participating in this offer.
- British Airways Visa Signature Card.
- Chase Freedom Flex.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve.
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card.
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card.
- United Club Infinite Card.
- United Explorer Card.
- United Quest Card.
World and World Elite Mastercards with complimentary ShopRunner
- Citi Premier® Card.
- Citi® Double Cash Card.
- Citi Custom Cash℠ Card.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®.
- AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard.
- Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard.
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card.
- JetBlue Card.
- JetBlue Plus Card.
- Wyndham Rewards Earner Plus Card.
The information for the JetBlue Card, the JetBlue Plus Card, the AAdvantage Aviator Red, Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select, Hawaiian Airlines World Elite Mastercard and Wyndham Rewards Earner Plus has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuers.
Stack ShopRunner benefits with other offers
There’s one final play to keep in mind not only to enjoy free shipping on your online purchases, but also to maximize the rewards you earn on them.
First – and especially if you are using an Amex or Chase card – be sure to check your Amex Offers and Chase Offers to see if you are eligible for further savings with specific merchants. Register for the offer and then use your enrolled card for the purchase.
Second, check your favorite online shopping portals to see if you can earn extra rewards points or cash back.
While not as extensive a benefit as Amazon Prime, ShopRunner can score you significant savings on everyday purchases you’d make anyway. What’s more, you can save the cost of membership ($79 per year) by linking your account to a credit card that includes it as a benefit. So, look at your cards and see if any might be eligible for a complimentary ShopRunner benefit — you might as well enroll if it’s complimentary.
Featured photo by Eternity in an Instant/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees