This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the past few years, I’ve helped TPG curate the ongoing series of reader success and mistake stories. It’s been a treat to read about your triumphs and blunders, and the feedback we’ve received shows that, for better or worse, the lessons learned in those posts are a great asset to TPG readers. To that end, we’re adding another reader-powered series that will focus on the finer details of award travel, and we’d love to hear from you!
The new Award Redemption of the Week may have some overlap with your success and mistake stories, but there will be a few key distinctions. First, while we love hearing about maximizing credit card benefits and qualifying for elite status, these posts will be tightly focused on how you redeem your points and miles. We want to know things like how you settled on your itinerary, why you chose to book through one loyalty program over another, whether you used tools like ExpertFlyer or SeatGuru to aid your search, and what the whole experience was like from your perspective. In short, we want the full monty.
Second, don’t worry too much about whether the award you booked should be considered “good” or “bad.” The idea isn’t only to showcase redemptions that offer amazing value, but also to provide insight into every facet of the booking process from the planning stage to the final confirmation. We’ll emphasize stories that highlight specific and repeatable strategies, especially those that may be underutilized by the award travel community at large. Whether your tale is one of resounding success, abject failure or something in between, we’ll give praise where it’s due and offer suggestions where another approach might have been more fruitful.
To take part, please email your own award redemption stories to info@e sure to include information about how you earned your rewards, a timeline of when you planned and booked your trip, and details like dates and flight numbers (don’t worry, we won’t share sensitive information publicly). Feel free to include screenshots of your itinerary as needed. Finally, tell us what you learned, and what you hope other readers will take away from your story. If your submission is published, we’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure.
As always, we wish you safe and happy travels, and we look forward to hearing from you!
Feature image by Ellyot via Unsplash.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards