Update: SAS Pilot Strike Ends After 360,000 Passengers Affected
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update as of 2 p.m. on 05/05/19:
Some good news for passengers holding tickets with Scandinavian Airlines (SAS): the company has announced it has reached an agreement with its pilots to end the current pilot strike.
The company says that around 360,000 passengers have been affected by 4,015 canceled flights during the six-day strike of pilots in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. SAS says it will take a few days for things to return to normal so some disruptions may still occur. If you are holding a ticket with SAS you can head over to the website to get the latest information on flight disruptions.
According to a report by Frequent Business Traveler, the new three-year agreement will give pilots a “3.5% pay increase in 2019, a 3% increase in 2020, and a 4% increase in 2021. In addition, the agreement will provide improved scheduling and job security for the pilots.”
About 70,000 flyers across Europe and the US are facing canceled and delayed flights Friday after Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) pilots declared they were going on strike indefinitely.
The 1,400 pilots in Sweden, Denmark and Norway went on the open-ended strike after pay negotiations with the airline fell apart late on Thursday, Forbes reports. The strike affects domestic flights, routes through Europe and long-haul flights to and from the US.
Within the US, SAS flies to Boston, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, San Francisco and Washington, DC. According to Flight Aware, at least some of the SAS flights into New York (EWR), Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), Washington (IAD) and Miami (MIA) were registering as canceled.
On Friday alone, 673 flights worldwide were canceled. As the pilot walkout stretches into the weekend, about 250,000 passengers are expected to be affected. SAS said it was contacting the affected customers by text or email. The airline was also offering full refunds to passengers who wanted to cancel their flights altogether. More information on rebooking and refunds can be found here.
A list of flights not affected by the strike is on the SAS website for passengers’ reference. Flights operated by SAS’ partners will not be affected by the strike.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees