SAS Will Soon Connect Copenhagen to the US and Asia With New Airbus A350
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Scandinavian Airlines, best known as SAS, will introduce a brand new long-haul aircraft into its fleet beginning in 2020. The Star Alliance airline has announced the impending delivery of eight Airbus A350s, which will connect its hub in Copenhagen to major gateways in Asia and North America.
On Jan. 28, 2020, the first of eight new SAS Airbus A350 jets is scheduled to enter into service between Copenhagen and Chicago O’Hare, relying on Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engines. The A350 will be based at the SAS hub at Copenhagen Airport and will operate on seven routes during the first year, including Chicago, Beijing, Newark, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong and San Francisco.
It’s an all-new jet for the airline, with room for 300 passengers split between SAS Business (40 seats), SAS Plus (32 seats) and SAS Go (228 seats). Per a company release, passengers and crew can look forward to “the quietest twin-aisle cabin, optimized cabin altitude, more fresh air, and advanced control of temperature and humidity.”
The release says the A350 will feature “unique SAS features, carefully developed from feedback given from travelers,” though specifics are being withheld until an announcement later this year.
The A350 lowers CO2 emissions by approximately 30% and reduces its external noise footprint by up to 40% compared to previous generation aircraft. In total, as a part the modernization of the short and long-haul fleet, SAS will take delivery of new Airbus A320neo (80), Airbus A330 Enhanced (5), Airbus A350 (8), and Airbus A321LR (3) aircraft before the end of 2023.
By end of 2019, the A350 aircraft will be delivered from the Airbus factory in Toulouse, France. Following delivery, they will fly training flights in Scandinavia during December and January to educate pilots and crew, with passenger service to commence thereafter.
If you’re looking to take a ride on SAS’ Airbus A350 once tickets go on sale, we’ve assembled a guide to booking Star Alliance award tickets.
Featured image courtesy of SAS.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees