SAS will fly the new single-aisle A321LR to Boston
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) has joined a growing number of full-service European carriers planning to use new, longer-range narrowbody aircraft on transatlantic routes. The airline will take delivery of the first of three Airbus A321LR (the LR stands for “long range”) aircraft in September 2020 and plans to deploy it on routes to Boston. The new plane will be put on the currently seasonal Copenhagen (CPH) to Boston (BOS) route, replacing the widebody Airbus A330 currently operating the flight. With fewer seats to fill, the A321LR will allow SAS to operate the route year-round.
The airline has explained in a press release on Friday that the new aircraft “gives SAS an opportunity to offer travelers more intercontinental routes, fewer stopovers and shorter travel times to and from Scandinavia. The new aircraft is equipped with a service concept at par with the rest of SAS’ long-haul fleet.” SAS plans to operate a three-class configuration with 22 flat-bed business-class seats, 12 premium-economy seats and 123 economy seats. While premium-economy seats on widebody aircraft are usually wider than standard economy seats, the space limitations in the single-aisle A321LR mean the premium-economy seats will likely be more like extra-legroom economy seats; it’s unlikely SAS will use anything less than a 3-3 layout in premium economy, the same as in the economy cabin.
SAS follows TAP Portugal and Aer Lingus, which are already using this aircraft type for some services between mainland Europe and the east coast of North America.
Boston Logan Airport will see more A321LRs in the future, with JetBlue planning to launch its first flights to Europe from Boston and New York (JFK) to London using the aircraft type.
Featured image: Rendering courtesy of Scandinavian Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees