Public transit riders may soon get priority access at SFO
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In an effort to increase ridership, San Francisco’s BART transportation system is proposing a plan to give travelers who take the train to the airport priority security screening access.
Changes in transportation have created fierce competition for public transit systems. Over the past couple of years, BART has experienced a significant drop in ridership for a variety of reasons, from safety concerns to ridehailing services becoming more convenient for some and sometimes even cheaper when with a group.
The growth of ridehailing services in particular has caused congestion issues at airports worldwide, so much so that many airports have had to create separate areas for pickups. Some airports have even gone as far as banning Uber from picking up passengers.
After taking a look at both of these issues, BART saw it as the perfect opportunity to potentially increase riders while also relieving airport congestion with the incentive of priority screening access.
The BART Board of Directors recently approved further development of what they’re calling, “trip verification technology” (TVT). SFO-hired staff will use the program to scan Clipper cards or QR codes on BART apps to verify a customer has used public transportation to get to the airport. Once the trip on BART or other public transportation is verified, the customer would then proceed to a priority line for TSA screening.
The potential program is still being discussed between BART and SFO, but if approved and the pilot program goes well, BART would consider offering the technology at Oakland International Airport and stadium entrances as well.
There is currently no set timeline for this project, but BART plans to move forward with the development of the technology after receiving the approval from the Board of Directors.
What do you think about BART’s idea to increase ridership? Would you consider taking public transit over an Uber or Lyft to get this perk?
Featured photo courtesy of Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees