Uber ends service at LA area’s Ontario Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers departing from and arriving at Ontario International Airport (ONT) can no longer use the popular ridesharing service Uber. Effective September 13, Uber no longer operates at the Los Angeles area airport.
According to Uber, a new rideshare surcharge prompted the company to end the airport service. The rideshare surcharge rose from $3 to $4 per trip. The Desert Sun reports that fees imposed on ridesharing services were increased on July 1 of this year.
Fees, like the $4 Transportation Network Companies (TNCs) surcharge, are typically passed off to drivers and occasionally, rider fares. Uber claims that the $4 fee imposed on TNCs at Ontario Airport is the highest in the country.
Ontario International Airport Deputy Chief Executive Officer Atif Elkadi told the Desert Sun that the airport never “asked Uber to leave” and that the airport “would love to continue negotiations” with Uber.
In a blog post published on Thursday, the airport noted that there are still a number of alternative rideshare and ground transportation options for passengers. Passengers hoping to use a ridesharing service for travel to or from Ontario International Airport can still access services offered by Lyft. Additionally, passengers can utilize public transportation and other private car services at the airport.
Featured image by Ontario Airport via Twitter (@flyONT)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.