World traveler Sam Chui is grounded: here are his 5 big takeaways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, I had the privilege of interviewing one of my favorite world travelers in an Instagram Live chat over at @thepointsguy. Hopping from flight to flight, Sam Chui seems to spend more time on the road than any of us here at TPG. Like the rest of us, however, he’s grounded for the time being — in Sam’s case, with his parents in Las Vegas, far from his home in Dubai.
Sam and I covered a variety of topics, including what life is like during his quarantine in the U.S., the speedy (and unexpected) demise of the Queen of the Skies and what we’re looking forward to in the future. You can catch our full 30-minute chat here — I’ll run through some of the highlights below, too.
Sam covered a variety of topics, including:
1. Why we’re still seeing so many planes fly
“The air cargo business is very strong at the moment… they’re the heroes behind quietly bringing all the logistics and supplies. They’re bringing medical supplies to countries like Italy and the U.S. When China had the coronavirus they brought these to China, now they’re bringing masks back from China to Europe and the U.S. Private aviation is also very strong at the moment, because of a lot of charter flights… to bring back stranded people and also to bring lots of cargo supplies.”
2. Sam’s travels have been impacted in a big way
“In late February things turned bad internationally. I guess the U.S. is the last country to get affected seriously. When I attended the Singapore Air Show, half the show was canceled. Half the participants didn’t turn up because it started in Asia first and moved on to Europe. I had the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg, that’s been canceled. This month, I was also supposed to go to Fiji from LA on the A350. I pulled out last minute – I figured it was a little bit irresponsible.”
3. It isn’t possible to return to Dubai
“The country’s closed to anyone except their own citizens, and there’s no flights going in right now. The country is banning all flights for 14 days. Emirates flights are grounded, Etihad’s grounded. I’d love to go back to Dubai in mid-April, if the flights start again.”
4. Sam has suggestions for anyone who has to fly
“The most important thing is to do some research and to find out how full your flight is. I’d rather have some distance — have that peace of mind. Given the flight loads these days are not very full, except those stranded citizen rescue flights… if you have a row of three, you might only have two people sitting, with the middle seat blocked.”
5. Final flights can be more exciting than inaugurals
“I actually like the last flights more than inaugural flights. When things come to… the last opportunity… go all out to … enjoy, to savor every memory. I did the very last international United 747 flight, from [Seoul] to San Francisco. And last year I did another one, the El Al last flight… we drew a 747 in the sky over the Mediterranean.”
Featured photo courtesy of Sam Chui.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees