Ryanair to suspend all commercial flights until June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ryanair CEO Michael O’Leary announced on Tuesday that the ultra low-cost airline will suspend all of its commercial flights until at least June. The news comes as the result of the ongoing coronavirus crisis, which has forced countries to close borders and travellers to stay at home to reduce its spread.
Europe’s biggest low-cost airline will temporarily suspend all commercial operations, instead opting to use its aircraft to help with repatriation and humanitarian efforts where needed.
“As a Group of Airlines [Ryanair, Lauda, Buzz and Malta Air], we expect most of our flights to be grounded from Tues 24 March onwards”, O’Leary said in a statement (PDF). “We have offered our aircraft to all EU Governments, both for rescue flights and to operate essential flights for the movement of vital medicines, personal protective equipment, and if necessary, emergency food supplies”.
O’Leary said that he believes it’s important for Ryanair to keep vital medicines and food supplies moving. For instances where Ryanair aircraft are being used to repatriate passengers, the airline is taking maximum safety precautions, such as daily disinfecting aircraft and no trolley service in an effort to minimise contact.
“At this time, no one knows how long this Covid shutdown will last”, O’Leary said. “We do not expect to operate flights during the months of April and May at this time, but this will clearly depend upon Government advice, and we will in all cases comply with these instructions”.
For passengers who had Ryanair flights booked, the airline said that it will contact you within “the next week or two”, outlining your options. It’s advising passengers not to call the customer care centre, as office staff were reduced by 50% “for social distancing reasons”.
Ryanair is not alone in having to cut its capacity or even suspend its operations entirely. The airline joins a growing list of those who have been forced to do the same amid the ongoing coronavirus crisis.
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees