Russia Quarantines 20 Live Snakes Found in Traveler’s Carry-On Luggage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Russia has had it with these Moscow-flying snakes on this Moscow-flying plane. While checking the carry-on luggage of a traveler who had recently arrived from Düsseldorf, airport employees discovered 20 live snakes of unspecified species, packed in jars and boxes tucked into a small bag. Upon questioning, the man revealed that he had purchased the non-venomous reptiles at a market in Germany, the Environmental Protection Agency in Moscow said Tuesday.
Surprisingly, transporting live snakes in hand baggage isn’t illegal in Germany, a spokesperson said on behalf of the German police, although necessary documentation is required. And Russia requires incoming snakes hold additional health-related documents, including veterinarian reports. Since the unnamed traveler did not possess the requisite paperwork, his sibilant companions were placed in quarantine in Moscow.
Don’t worry about becoming the next Samuel L. Jackson in the US; the vast majority of American carriers do not allow “unusual or exotic” pets on board in passenger cabins, which usually excludes reptiles.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee