This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Russia has had it with these Moscow-flying snakes on this Moscow-flying plane. While checking the carry-on luggage of a traveler who had recently arrived from Düsseldorf, airport employees discovered 20 live snakes of unspecified species, packed in jars and boxes tucked into a small bag. Upon questioning, the man revealed that he had purchased the non-venomous reptiles at a market in Germany, the Environmental Protection Agency in Moscow said Tuesday.
Surprisingly, transporting live snakes in hand baggage isn’t illegal in Germany, a spokesperson said on behalf of the German police, although necessary documentation is required. And Russia requires incoming snakes hold additional health-related documents, including veterinarian reports. Since the unnamed traveler did not possess the requisite paperwork, his sibilant companions were placed in quarantine in Moscow.
Don’t worry about becoming the next Samuel L. Jackson in the US; the vast majority of American carriers do not allow “unusual or exotic” pets on board in passenger cabins, which usually excludes reptiles.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards