Don’t leave money on the table: Check your credit card offers and discounts now
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with the latest offers. It was originally published on Feb. 4. 2020.
There are many ways to make the most of your everyday spending, from choosing the best credit cards to leveraging bonus categories on different purchases. Many card issuers also offer additional bonuses and discounts through programs such as Chase Offers and American Airlines’ SimplyMiles. I was recently reminded just how important it is to regularly check these sites.
Want more tips and tricks delivered to your inbox? Sign up for the TPG newsletter!
Meal planning in my house has always been a source of frustration: finding recipes everyone will like, checking our ingredients, coordinating the grocery list, etc. As a result, we’ve used a number of different meal delivery services over the years. Our current site du jour is Sun Basket, which offers interesting meals, clean ingredients, organic produce and recyclable shipping materials. We receive three meals a week with all of the ingredients we need, portioned into exact quantities for easy preparation.
Before a recent shipment, a simple action that took less than five minutes ended up saving me $50 on these purchases.
As I was drinking my first cup of coffee, I decided to log in to my American Express account to peruse my Amex Offers, something I try to do somewhat regularly. I was thrilled to find the following on my American Express® Gold Card:
I immediately added the offer to the card, then logged into my Sun Basket account and changed my billing information to the Amex Gold. For the next two weeks, I saved $25 each week on my Sun Basket meals — all made possible by simply checking my available Amex Offers. As an added bonus, the purchases ended up posting as restaurant purchases on my Amex Gold, so I also earned 4x on the orders.
Related reading: Amex Gold card review
It’s not always easy to remember to visit these various sites, but my experience today reinforced how important it is to do it. I was already going to purchase my next two Sun Basket shipments, and this offer made them noticeably less expensive. Of course, $50 isn’t going to get me a premium-class flight or a luxury hotel room on its own, but it’s not exactly spare change.
Note that this could be even more lucrative if you’re able to utilize an online shopping portal for these purchases.
To help me remember to check these offers in the future, I have now set up a weekly, recurring calendar reminder, including links to the following programs:
Will this take some time? Of course. However, I will gladly spend 10-15 minutes once a week to ensure that I don’t miss out on future opportunities to earn cash back or bonus miles — especially on purchases I was already going to make.
Don’t miss out on your own chances to earn bonus points, miles or discounts. Log in to check your targeted offers today.
- Current Amex offers with airlines, hotels, cruises
- Current Chase offers with airlines, hotels
- Earn bonus points and miles by double-dipping
Featured photo by Fertnig/Getty Images.
Additional reporting by Madison Blancaflor.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.