How one couple hilariously recreated their canceled trip to Europe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You know what they say: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And there’s an awful lot of lemonade being served due to the novel coronavirus outbreak, which has completely upended the travel industry.
Kaitlyn Brady and her husband, Brian Amaral, are one of countless couples whose trips have been derailed by the global pandemic. But Brady and Amaral didn’t just make a pitcher of lemonade — they built the entire lemonade stand.
The couple had been planning a trip to Madeira, one of the Portuguese islands off the coast of Morocco, for a couple of years. They booked flights from Boston (BOS) to Madeira (FNC), and strategically took advantage of TAP Air Portugal‘s stopover program to have a few days in Lisbon (LIS) on the way home.
Their flight was supposed to land in Madeira on April 2, which was Amaral’s birthday. Plus, Portugal has always had a special meaning to the couple, as Amaral proposed to Brady there.
Once it became apparent the coronavirus was going to wreak havoc on their vacation plans, Brady had to come up with a new way to celebrate.
“I tried to think of ways to make the day special while stuck in our apartment — a big difference from our original plans! One of the big tourist activities in Madeira is riding down the steep, windy streets in wicker toboggans. We were really looking forward to doing this since it’s so unique and silly, so I had the idea of editing us into a picture of a basket ride. Then, I kept coming up with other ideas for pictures, thinking of all the things we were excited to do,” Brady told TPG.
She continued to research some of the most famous attractions in Madeira, and had fun editing herself and her husband into the photos. She said it provided her with a sense of escape.
“We’re living in such strange times, and stuck at home, so the little things that can make us laugh are really important,” she said.
On April 2, Amaral’s birthday, she gifted him the photos from their virtual Madeira vacation.
New to TPG? Read our Beginner’s Guide
Brady recommends that anyone who has had to cancel their vacation plans look at pictures of their intended destination, watch videos or even find a Rick Steves’ episode about the location.
She adds that, while she thought it might have made them more aware of what they were missing out on, it was “really fun to pretend they were there.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
To top it all off? The couple is still continuing the birthday celebration this weekend and getting takeout from a local Portuguese restaurant in Providence, Rhode Island, conveniently named Madeira. Of course, they can’t wait to visit Madeira in person whenever they’re able to — and recreate the real-life version of the photographs.
Featured image courtesy of Dennis Fischer Photography/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.