How one couple hilariously recreated their canceled trip to Europe
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You know what they say: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And there’s an awful lot of lemonade being served due to the novel coronavirus outbreak, which has completely upended the travel industry.
Kaitlyn Brady and her husband, Brian Amaral, are one of countless couples whose trips have been derailed by the global pandemic. But Brady and Amaral didn’t just make a pitcher of lemonade — they built the entire lemonade stand.
The couple had been planning a trip to Madeira, one of the Portuguese islands off the coast of Morocco, for a couple of years. They booked flights from Boston (BOS) to Madeira (FNC), and strategically took advantage of TAP Air Portugal‘s stopover program to have a few days in Lisbon (LIS) on the way home.
Their flight was supposed to land in Madeira on April 2, which was Amaral’s birthday. Plus, Portugal has always had a special meaning to the couple, as Amaral proposed to Brady there.
Once it became apparent the coronavirus was going to wreak havoc on their vacation plans, Brady had to come up with a new way to celebrate.
“I tried to think of ways to make the day special while stuck in our apartment — a big difference from our original plans! One of the big tourist activities in Madeira is riding down the steep, windy streets in wicker toboggans. We were really looking forward to doing this since it’s so unique and silly, so I had the idea of editing us into a picture of a basket ride. Then, I kept coming up with other ideas for pictures, thinking of all the things we were excited to do,” Brady told TPG.
She continued to research some of the most famous attractions in Madeira, and had fun editing herself and her husband into the photos. She said it provided her with a sense of escape.
“We’re living in such strange times, and stuck at home, so the little things that can make us laugh are really important,” she said.
On April 2, Amaral’s birthday, she gifted him the photos from their virtual Madeira vacation.
New to TPG? Read our Beginner’s Guide
Brady recommends that anyone who has had to cancel their vacation plans look at pictures of their intended destination, watch videos or even find a Rick Steves’ episode about the location.
She adds that, while she thought it might have made them more aware of what they were missing out on, it was “really fun to pretend they were there.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
To top it all off? The couple is still continuing the birthday celebration this weekend and getting takeout from a local Portuguese restaurant in Providence, Rhode Island, conveniently named Madeira. Of course, they can’t wait to visit Madeira in person whenever they’re able to — and recreate the real-life version of the photographs.
Featured image courtesy of Dennis Fischer Photography/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees