Qatar Teases That It Could Leave Oneworld Within 2 Months
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways’ Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al Baker doubled down on his word that the airline could leave the Oneworld Alliance. And, the final decision could come sooner than expected.
During a press conference at ITB Berlin on Wednesday following the unveiling of Qatar’s new economy seat, Al Baker said that the carrier will make its final decision on whether or not to leave the alliance within the next two months.
“In the matter of a month or two, we will give you the news if we are going to stay or withdraw [from Oneworld],” Al Baker said. “I think it is the latter that will happen.”
Since 2015, Qatar has threatened to leave Oneworld, though that tone has come in spurts. More recently, as of October 2018, Al Baker’s harsh exit words have hit stronger and more often, as he’s doubled down on his stance that the Middle Eastern carrier will depart.
During Wednesday’s press conference, Al Baker insinuated that the carrier will leave, and when it does, it’ll have a lasting affect on the state of the alliance.
“If we leave Oneworld, we will create a big hole for them in their entire connectivity,” Al Baker said.
Al Baker’s voiced his frustration with certain members of the alliance — specifically, though not explicitly mentioning, American Airlines and Qantas — for not treating Qatar with the same respect as the other members.
“We have given them breathing space to get their act together,” he said. “As an airline, we will demand respect and not submit to anybody trying to bully us.”
By the sound of it, things haven’t improved and Qatar could soon see its way out of the alliance. If it does indeed leave Oneworld, the move could have negative consequences for American Airlines and British Airways flyers who have long earned AAdvantage and Avios miles, as well as elite-qualifying credits when flying with Qatar.
Featured photo by JT Genter / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees