Qatar Airways adds Seattle, announces frequent flyer pact with Alaska Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan earning rates for Qatar Airways flights.
Qatar Airways is headed to the Pacific Northwest.
Qatar Airways’ Seattle service will begin March 15 with four weekly flights to its hub in Doha (DOH). The airline will fly the route with 283-seat Airbus A350-900 aircraft configured with 36 “Qsuite” business-class seats. Flight time is scheduled at just over 14 hours in each direction, covering a distance of 7,411 miles.
Seattle becomes the second U.S. destination announced by Qatar Airways in as many months. The carrier announced in October that it would add San Francisco (SFO), where a schedule of four weekly flights is set to begin next Tuesday (Dec. 15).
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
In Seattle, Qatar Airways’ arrival solidifies the city’s status as an emerging hub within the Oneworld alliance.
Alaska Airlines, which is based in Seattle and is the top carrier there, is set to formally join Oneworld on March 31. Ahead of that, Qatar Airways said it will enter into a frequent flyer partnership with Alaska Airlines that will take effect Dec. 15. The tie-up – which will eventually include a codeshare deal – will allow reciprocal mileage earning beginning Dec. 15. Redemption will not come online until March 31.
With the new ties and Alaska’s pending Oneworld membership, passengers on Qatar Airways’ Doha flights should be able to connect to most Alaska Airlines destinations from Seattle. Prior to the pandemic, Alaska Airlines flew to more than 90 destinations from its hub there.
Alaska + American partnership: American, Alaska Airlines outline reciprocal elite benefits, upgrades
Also expanding in Seattle is American, a founding member of Oneworld that has formed its own West Coast alliance with Alaska Airlines.
American also intends to capitalize on the feed offered by Alaska with plans for its own long-haul routes from Seattle. Flights to Shanghai; Bangalore, India; and London Heathrow are all expected to begin in 2021 after delays because of the coronavirus crisis.
Other Oneworld carriers flying from Seattle include British Airways (London Heathrow) and Japan Airlines (Tokyo Narita).
The growing Oneworld presence there could put pressure on Delta, which has grown its own hub in Seattle and now competes heavily against partner-turned-rival Alaska. Delta – a member of the SkyTeam alliance – offers a robust domestic and international schedule from Seattle, where it is the No. 2 carrier behind Alaska. Pre-pandemic, other SkyTeam members flying from Seattle included Air France and Korean Air as well as Delta’s joint-venture partner Virgin Atlantic.
For now, though, all eyes are on Alaska’s looming entry into Oneworld and the new long-haul flights members of that alliance are adding to the city.
New routes surprise! American to fly from Seattle to Bangalore and London
Qatar Airways’ schedule for its new Seattle-Doha flights
Doha (DOH) to Seattle (SEA), QR719 departs: 08:00 arrives: 11:20
Seattle (SEA) to Doha (DOH), QR720 departs: 15:55 arrives: 17:05+1
Flights operate Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday
Alaska Mileage Plan earning rates for Qatar Airways flights
Beginning Dec. 15, 2020, Alaska Mileage Plan members will earn Alaska miles on Qatar Airways flights at the following distance-based rates. Overall, these earning rates are more generous than if you were to credit Qatar Airways flights to Oneworld partner American. Note, if a purchased fare booking code is not listed in the table, no miles are earned.
|Cabin||Fare class||Base miles||Bonus miles||Total miles earned
||Elite qualifying miles|
|First Class||F, P, A||100%||250%||350%||150%|
|Business Class||J, C, D, I, R||100%||125%||225%||125%|
|Economy Class||B, H, K, M, L, V, S, N, Q, G||50%||0%||50%||50%|
|Economy Class||T, O, W||25%||0%||25%||25%|
Benji Stawski contributed to this story.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees