Qatar Airways makes San Francisco its newest US destination
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways will make San Francisco its newest destination.
Beginning Dec. 15, the carrier will offer four flights a week to its hub in Doha. Qatar Airways will fly the 8,087-mile route with Airbus A350-900 aircraft. The carrier’s A350-900s seat 283 passengers, including 36 Qsuite business-class seats and 247 in economy. Flight time is listed at 15 hours, 20 minutes on the Doha-bound leg and 15 hours, 40 minutes on the return.
Qatar Airways’ move to add San Francisco (SFO) comes as demand for international travel has cratered during the coronavirus pandemic.
“As we navigate the crisis, we have made it a priority to not only reinstate our existing destinations and be the airline travelers can rely on, but to also grow our network and increase connectivity with new and relevant destinations for our customers to enjoy,” Akbar Al Baker, the carrier’s outspoken CEO, said in a statement announcing the service.
San Francisco will become the ninth U.S. city currently served by Qatar Airways.
The others are Boston (BOS); Chicago O’Hare (ORD); Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW); Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH); Los Angeles (LAX); New York-JFK; Philadelphia (PHL) and Washington Dulles (IAD).
Qatar Airways also has suspended service to two other U.S. destinations – Atlanta (ATL) and Miami (MIA). Miami service is scheduled to resume in December, according to the carrier’s website. And a spokesperson for the carrier tells TPG that Qatar Airways also intends to reinstate flights to Atlanta, though no timeline has been given.
For now, Qatar Airways will be the second of the three big Gulf carriers to fly from San Francisco. Emirates also flies from SFO to its hub in Dubai. Abu Dhabi-based Etihad previously flew from San Francisco, but discontinued service there in 2017 as it ran into financial headwinds.
More from TPG:My thoughts on flying Qatar Qsuite as a group of 4
Qatar Airways is a member of the Oneworld frequent-flyer alliance that also includes American and British Airways. That allows American and British Airways can earn and redeem miles for Qatar Airways San Francisco-Doha nonstop. Since the flight was just loaded into the system, it might take some time for award availability to show up online.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy,
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees