Qantas is retiring another 747 and you can join its last flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this year, Qantas announced that it’d be pulling its 747 from service to North America. And while that’s true, with routes being replaced by the 787-9 Dreamliner and the A380, fans of the 747 can take one last flight on Qantas’ aircraft ‘Sydney’ (VH-OEF) as it heads into retirement.
This 7,500-mile flight has plenty of award availability in economy, premium economy and business so there’s no reason to miss out. The points required are as follows:
- Economy: 41,900 points plus AU$232 ($160)
- Premium Economy: 81,300 points plus AU$349 ($241)
- Business: 108,400 points plus AU$329 ($227)
This is a historic goodbye to an incredible plane — but it’s certainly not the first of its kind. Airlines across the world have been throwing goodbye parties for this aircraft for the last few years, from El Al’s plane drawn in the sky to nostalgia-filled seats for sale, the aviation world is going to miss its queen.
So what can you expect on this bittersweet flight? Read all about TPG Senior Reporter JT Genter’s experience covering the retirement flight of Qantas’ “Lord Howe Island” (VH-OJU) earlier this year.
Feature photo by Alberto Riva/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.