Another Airline Ends 747 Service to the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s one less airline flying to the United States with the Queen of the Skies. Starting December 4, Qantas will remove its Boeing 747 that operates the Sydney to San Francisco route and will replace it with a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
This is currently the last 747 Qantas flies to the mainland US, after the airline replaced 747 service between Sydney and Los Angeles with Airbus A380 and 787 flights last December. While not published, Qantas has told TPG it will end 747 service from Sydney to Honolulu on August 29, 2019.
“The 747 has been the backbone of our international fleet for more than 40 years, so it will be the end of an era and the start of another when we farewell the Queen of the Skies from flying to mainland America,” said Qantas International Acting CEO Naren Kumar.
Qantas says the the 787-9 will operate the daily flight between SFO and SYD and will complement the 4x weekly service between Melbourne and San Francisco. The aircraft features three cabins: with 42 seats in business, 28 seats in premium economy and 166 in coach.
It’s been more than one year since the last US airline, Delta, retired its 747. Qantas plans on ending 747 service on international routes by the end of 2020.
If you still want to fly the iconic jet before it clocks out, check out our guide on how to use miles to fly to fly the 747.
Featured image by Boeing746/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees