Another Airline Ends 747 Service to the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s one less airline flying to the United States with the Queen of the Skies. Starting December 4, Qantas will remove its Boeing 747 that operates the Sydney to San Francisco route and will replace it with a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
This is currently the last 747 Qantas flies to the mainland US, after the airline replaced 747 service between Sydney and Los Angeles with Airbus A380 and 787 flights last December. While not published, Qantas has told TPG it will end 747 service from Sydney to Honolulu on August 29, 2019.
“The 747 has been the backbone of our international fleet for more than 40 years, so it will be the end of an era and the start of another when we farewell the Queen of the Skies from flying to mainland America,” said Qantas International Acting CEO Naren Kumar.
Qantas says the the 787-9 will operate the daily flight between SFO and SYD and will complement the 4x weekly service between Melbourne and San Francisco. The aircraft features three cabins: with 42 seats in business, 28 seats in premium economy and 166 in coach.
It’s been more than one year since the last US airline, Delta, retired its 747. Qantas plans on ending 747 service on international routes by the end of 2020.
If you still want to fly the iconic jet before it clocks out, check out our guide on how to use miles to fly to fly the 747.
Featured image by Boeing746/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.