Qantas Is Slowly Ending 747 Service to the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers heading to Australia from the continental US will have fewer options if their goal is to fly a 747 across the Pacific. We now have more details about when Qantas will end its 747 service on some routes from Australia to the US.
On December 3, 2018, the Australian flag carrier will replace the aging 747 with a combination of flights on its Airbus A380 and Boeing 787. The Tuesday flight from Sydney (SYD) to Los Angeles (LAX) (QF11/12), currently served by a 747, will be replaced with an A380. Now, the Airbus superjumbo will fly daily from both Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney.
Qantas operates twice daily seasonal service from Sydney to Los Angeles (usually it’s just one flight a day) — that flight will also be operated by an A380 instead of a 747.
There’s still hope for those who want to fly on a 747 from the US. Qantas will be swapping its A330-300 for a 747 on its Sydney (SYD) – Honolulu (HNL) route from December 7 through April 21, 2019. This adds increased capacity on the route and Qantas’ 747 is outfitted with its premium economy product.
Starting on December 17, Qantas will add another weekly flight from Sydney (SYD) to San Francisco (SFO) making the route served every day of the week. The 747 will continue to fly on this route.
Qantas is cutting back service on one of its longest routes — the 15.5/17.5 hour flight between Sydney (SYD) and Dallas (DFW). We’ll see a reduction from seven to six flights per week on its A380.
We’ve already known that on September 1, Qantas will replace the 747-400 on the Brisbane (BNE) – Los Angeles – New York (JFK) with its new 787-9 Dreamliner. The 787 will also fly four times weekly between Melbourne (MEL) and San Francisco (SFO).
Featured image by Chris Putnam / Barcroft Media via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees