Qantas Is Slowly Ending 747 Service to the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers heading to Australia from the continental US will have fewer options if their goal is to fly a 747 across the Pacific. We now have more details about when Qantas will end its 747 service on some routes from Australia to the US.
On December 3, 2018, the Australian flag carrier will replace the aging 747 with a combination of flights on its Airbus A380 and Boeing 787. The Tuesday flight from Sydney (SYD) to Los Angeles (LAX) (QF11/12), currently served by a 747, will be replaced with an A380. Now, the Airbus superjumbo will fly daily from both Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney.
Qantas operates twice daily seasonal service from Sydney to Los Angeles (usually it’s just one flight a day) — that flight will also be operated by an A380 instead of a 747.
There’s still hope for those who want to fly on a 747 from the US. Qantas will be swapping its A330-300 for a 747 on its Sydney (SYD) – Honolulu (HNL) route from December 7 through April 21, 2019. This adds increased capacity on the route and Qantas’ 747 is outfitted with its premium economy product.
Starting on December 17, Qantas will add another weekly flight from Sydney (SYD) to San Francisco (SFO) making the route served every day of the week. The 747 will continue to fly on this route.
Qantas is cutting back service on one of its longest routes — the 15.5/17.5 hour flight between Sydney (SYD) and Dallas (DFW). We’ll see a reduction from seven to six flights per week on its A380.
We’ve already known that on September 1, Qantas will replace the 747-400 on the Brisbane (BNE) – Los Angeles – New York (JFK) with its new 787-9 Dreamliner. The 787 will also fly four times weekly between Melbourne (MEL) and San Francisco (SFO).
Featured image by Chris Putnam / Barcroft Media via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.