Open your cabin door, win a free cruise: Princess adds prize giveaways to new all-inclusive package
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Go to your room!” The universal expression of parental displeasure now has a different meaning for Princess Cruises passengers. As part of a new offering called Princess Prizes, guests who pay to enter or who purchase the line’s new all-inclusive package could win free cruises, cash and other rewards simply by opening their cabin doors.
As the newest feature of the line’s ever-evolving OceanMedallion technology, Princess Prizes randomly awards gifts to winning cruisers when they approach their cabins and use their Medallions to open their doors.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
If they’ve won, the digital welcome screen next to their cabin will light up in celebration and tell them what their prize is.
Information about how to claim prizes — which include $100,000 in cash, a free cruise every year for 10 years, onboard credit, Chef’s Table dining, wine tastings and other goodies — will be available to passengers on their MedallionClass Apps and in-cabin TVs.
Not everybody will win, but John Padgett, Princess Cruises’ president, said on a call Wednesday that the odds are in each passenger’s favor.
“A lot of people will win something,” he said. “We do have a very broad, deep prize pool.”
Children are ineligible to win, as prize awards are only triggered for Medallions belonging to passengers 18 and older. Adults who have not purchased an all-inclusive package can gain access to Princess Prizes by paying a $20 fee per cabin, per day, to enter.
Princess Prizes is available for free to Princess travelers who opt into the line’s new for-fee Princess Premier all-inclusive add-on package. For $75 per person, per day, the package includes:
- Premium beverage package
- Unlimited MedallionNet Wi-Fi for up to four devices
- Crew gratuities
- Two specialty restaurant meals
- Photo package (digital copies of all photos taken by the ship’s photographer, plus three prints)
- Princess Prizes eligibility
Princess values these inclusions at $156 per day.
Princess Premier is a step up from the line’s existing Princess Plus add-on package, which offers:
- Basic beverage package
- Unlimited MedallionNet Wi-Fi for one device
- Crew gratuities
Princess values these inclusions at $95 per day.
On May 25, 2022, the price for Princess Plus will increase from $40 per person, per day, to $50, so cruisers have about two weeks to lock in the lower daily pricing. Princess Premier will also become available for booking starting May 25 for use on sailings departing on or after June 25, 2022.
Cruisers who have already booked Princess Plus for use on voyages on or after June 25, 2022, will be able to upgrade to Princess Premier for an extra $25 per person, per day, beginning on May 25.
“Guests have overwhelmingly embraced the convenience and value offered in Princess Plus, so we are adding Princess Premier to take our inclusivity options to the next level,” Padgett said in a statement. “Princess Premier is our most inclusive package.”
If it seems like the premier package offers significantly more value than the plus package, that’s because it does — and it’s intentional, with the goal of enticing people who currently purchase Princess Plus.
“We specifically engineered Princess Premier to be disproportionately more valuable … compared to Plus,” Padgett said during the call. “That is, no doubt, by design.”
Since 2020, following the industry-wide shutdown, lines like Princess, Norwegian Cruise Line and Holland America Line have been luring passengers to book by offering limited-time deals that roll more freebies — such as drinks, shore excursions, specialty dining, gratuities, Wi-Fi — into base fares.
But, cruisers don’t always want more inclusions, particularly if they mean higher prices or less flexibility.
In 2021, Celebrity Cruises introduced its permanent Always Included fares, which provide cruisers with free basic Wi-Fi, a basic beverage package and crew tips. Although Always Included pricing is still available, the line later walked back its stance and resumed offering base fares that don’t include the extras.
Earlier this year, Atlas Ocean Voyages also dialed back its inclusivity due to feedback from passengers who wanted more freedom to plan their own shore excursions and pre- and post-cruise itineraries.
Featured photo courtesy of Princess Cruises.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees