Do premium economy flights qualify for the Amex Business Platinum’s 35% Pay With Points rebate?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Reader Questions are answered twice a week by TPG Senior Points & Miles Contributor Ethan Steinberg.
While you can generally get a better value transferring your Amex Membership Rewards points to partner airline, cardholders of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express can also enjoy a 35% rebate when they pay with their points for eligible flights through Amex Travel. TPG reader Ehsan wants to know how premium economy flights are classified for the purpose of this rebate …
I want to use my Business Platinum to pay with points for a flight and get the 35% rebate. If I’m booking a premium economy ticket, can that be on any airline or only my selected airline?TPG READER EHSAN
Just like the annual airline incidental fee credits it offers, Amex’s policies here are slightly more confusing and restrictive than its competitors (namely the Chase Sapphire Reserve). Business Platinum cardholders can enjoy a 35% rebate when they use their points to pay for economy flights on their selected airline (the same airline you select for your up to $200 airline fee credit) or first- and business-class flights on any airline. You need to have the full amount of points in your account at the time of booking and the rebate (capped at 500,000 points per calendar year) should post in 6-10 weeks. Enrollment required for select benefits.
This Pay With Points feature is a great option to consider as it locks in a minimum redemption value of 1.54 cents per point and gives you the ability to book any flight with open seats, even if there isn’t award space available. The terms and conditions on the Business Platinum website clearly address how economy flights are limited to your selected airline while first- and business-class flights on any airline are eligible for the rebate, but they make no mention of premium economy, which is a relatively newer introduction in the world of commercial aviation.
I spoke to an Amex representative over the phone who quickly confirmed that premium economy and any flights except for business and first class face the same restriction as regular economy flights, meaning that you’ll only receive the rebate if you book them on your selected airline. This is rather unfortunate as Amex only allows you to select from nine airlines, all of which are based in the U.S. Many international airlines are now rolling out premium economy, often with better service than their American counterparts, but your Business Platinum Pay With Points rebate won’t help you here.
Given how many rules Amex has surrounding the use of some of its most valuable benefits, it’s important to do your homework thoroughly to avoid making an expensive mistake. When it comes to paying with points for premium economy flights, you’ll only receive the 35% rebate if your eligible flight is on your selected airline, effectively excluding international carriers.
Featured photo by Isabelle Raphael/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees