United, Alaska among airlines moving terminals in Phoenix
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers flying through Phoenix Sky Harbor next week best take note of what terminal their flight departs from as the airport relocates five airlines to Terminal 3 ahead of the closing of Terminal 2.
Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Boutique Air, Contour Airlines and United Airlines will relocate to Terminal 3 between Monday, Feb. 3, and Thursday, Feb. 6, according to the Phoenix airport (PHX). Boutique moves on Monday, United on Tuesday, Alaska and Contour on Wednesday, and Air Canada on Thursday.
All but one of the carriers, plus Hawaiian Airlines, will operate from the rebuilt North Concourse, which has 10 gates. Boutique will operate from the South Concourse that opened a year ago.
One notable change for United travelers: the airline will not have a lounge in Terminal 3, at least not initially. Its United Club in Terminal 2 will close when it moves, with a new 5,400 square-foot lounge in Terminal 3 not due to open for several months, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin told TPG.
Phoenix handled a record 46.3 million passengers in 2019, a 3% year-over-year increase, according to airport data. The airport is a hub for American Airlines, and a large base for Southwest Airlines — both of which operate from Terminal 4 at Sky Harbor.
Phoenix was the 13th-busiest airport in the U.S. by passenger boardings in 2018, according to Department of Transportation rankings.
Terminal 2 will close when the relocations to Terminal 3 are complete, and is expected to be demolished. Terminal 2 — the oldest among the airport’s three passenger terminals — opened in 1962 with a mid-century modern aesthetic.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Airport Architecture (@airportarchitecture) on
Terminal 2 has been home to numerous carriers of the years. Past tenants include American and Trans World Airlines (TWA) in the 1970s, and former Republic Airlines’ short-lived Phoenix hub in the 1980s.
Terminal 3 opened in 1979. It was home to America West Airlines’ hub, the forerunner to American’s hub today, until Terminal 4 opened in 1990.
Updated with comment from United on plans for a new United Club in Terminal 3.
Featured image courtesy of Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees