Philippine Airlines Is Bringing a Nonstop A350 to New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US-based flyers will soon have another way to fly on the new Airbus A350: Philippine Airlines is introducing it on its Manila (MNL) to New York (JFK) service later this year, when it will replace the airline’s current one-stop flight via Vancouver (YVR) with a whopping 16-hour nonstop.
The airline had previously announced plans to make the service a nonstop by eliminating the stop in YVR starting in October 2018, but now it has also decided to swap the Airbus A350-900 on this route for the Boeing 777-300ER. The airline’s website lists the first nonstop on October 30.
Flight-mapping site Great Circle Mapper puts the route at 8,520 miles in length, making it the longest nonstop out of JFK and the second-longest out of all the New York airports. Only Singapore Airlines’ monster 9,534-mile flight from Newark to Singapore, the longest in the world, will surpass it when it restarts on October 11. In the current ranking of longest nonstops worldwide, the new Manila service is in eighth place.
According to Routes Online, the following schedule will be valid until March 9 of next year:
- PR126 Manila (MNL) 9:00pm Departure → New York (JFK) 11:15pm Arrival, every day except Friday and Sunday
- PR127 New York (JFK) 1:45am Departure → Manila (MNL) 7:15am (+1) Arrival, every day except Monday and Saturday
The first A350 out of six ordered will enter service with Philippine Airlines soon, and according to Routes Online, it will begin regional service from Manila to Hong Kong (HKG) in July. The aircraft will be configured with 295 seats in business, premium economy and economy.
Philippine Airlines isn’t part of any international alliances, and its Mabuhay frequent flyer program doesn’t partner with US airlines or credit cards. But the airline does partner directly with ANA, which charges 60,000 miles round-trip in economy or 95,000 miles round-trip in business between New York and Manila. ANA is a transfer partner of both American Express Membership Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), but does require round-trip redemptions.
However, business-class fares on the flight are relatively cheap: A seat on the inaugural flight on October 30, with a return any time in the fall, can be had for around $3,800. Economy class goes for $863 at the lowest Supersaver level, which still offers two pieces of checked luggage at 50 pounds each.
Business class will be in a 1-2-1 layout with flat-bed seats, premium economy in a 2-4-2 layout with a 38-inch pitch between seats and economy in 3-3-3 with a relatively generous 33-inch pitch. Premium economy is not bookable yet on the JFK-MNL route on the carrier’s site.
With additional reporting by Jane Frye.
Featured image of the Airbus A350-900 rendering courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees