Philippine Airlines Is Bringing a Nonstop A350 to New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US-based flyers will soon have another way to fly on the new Airbus A350: Philippine Airlines is introducing it on its Manila (MNL) to New York (JFK) service later this year, when it will replace the airline’s current one-stop flight via Vancouver (YVR) with a whopping 16-hour nonstop.
The airline had previously announced plans to make the service a nonstop by eliminating the stop in YVR starting in October 2018, but now it has also decided to swap the Airbus A350-900 on this route for the Boeing 777-300ER. The airline’s website lists the first nonstop on October 30.
Flight-mapping site Great Circle Mapper puts the route at 8,520 miles in length, making it the longest nonstop out of JFK and the second-longest out of all the New York airports. Only Singapore Airlines’ monster 9,534-mile flight from Newark to Singapore, the longest in the world, will surpass it when it restarts on October 11. In the current ranking of longest nonstops worldwide, the new Manila service is in eighth place.
According to Routes Online, the following schedule will be valid until March 9 of next year:
- PR126 Manila (MNL) 9:00pm Departure → New York (JFK) 11:15pm Arrival, every day except Friday and Sunday
- PR127 New York (JFK) 1:45am Departure → Manila (MNL) 7:15am (+1) Arrival, every day except Monday and Saturday
The first A350 out of six ordered will enter service with Philippine Airlines soon, and according to Routes Online, it will begin regional service from Manila to Hong Kong (HKG) in July. The aircraft will be configured with 295 seats in business, premium economy and economy.
Philippine Airlines isn’t part of any international alliances, and its Mabuhay frequent flyer program doesn’t partner with US airlines or credit cards. But the airline does partner directly with ANA, which charges 60,000 miles round-trip in economy or 95,000 miles round-trip in business between New York and Manila. ANA is a transfer partner of both American Express Membership Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), but does require round-trip redemptions.
However, business-class fares on the flight are relatively cheap: A seat on the inaugural flight on October 30, with a return any time in the fall, can be had for around $3,800. Economy class goes for $863 at the lowest Supersaver level, which still offers two pieces of checked luggage at 50 pounds each.
Business class will be in a 1-2-1 layout with flat-bed seats, premium economy in a 2-4-2 layout with a 38-inch pitch between seats and economy in 3-3-3 with a relatively generous 33-inch pitch. Premium economy is not bookable yet on the JFK-MNL route on the carrier’s site.
With additional reporting by Jane Frye.
Featured image of the Airbus A350-900 rendering courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.