11 passport centers are reopening, but you’ll still have to wait on your application
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Home-weary travelers, rejoice: Your local passport agencies and centers are coming out of quarantine.
The State Department announced this week that 11 passport agencies and centers will reopen Thursday, June 11, under Phase One of the agency’s three-phase reopening plan.
The 11 centers that are reopening include:
- Arkansas Passport Center
- Buffalo Passport Agency
- Chicago Passport Agency
- Colorado Passport Agency
- Connecticut Passport Agency
- Detroit Passport Agency
- Minneapolis Passport Agency
- National Passport Center
- New Orleans Passport Center
- New York Passport Agency
- Philadelphia Passport Agency
Unfortunately, this doesn’t mean you can just march in to one of these centers and walk back out with a passport. During Phase One of reopening, priority will still be given to travelers who need a passport within the next 72 hours for a life-or-death emergency only. Applicants must make a confirmed appointment, and must wear cloth face coverings in all common areas, including the lobby, and observe strict social distancing.
Employees will also be phased back in to work on a limited number basis, primarily to process the existing backlog of passport applications that the agency has already received.
2020 has been a rough year for just about everyone on the planet, and travelers needing new or renewed passports have been no exception. The agency has been on lockdown since mid-March, with extremely limited services available to travelers with extreme emergencies only. Meanwhile, partner agencies offering expedited passport services have also been placed on hold.
So what does this reopening mean for travelers, really? David Pacella, Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships at RushMyPassport.com, weighed in for TPG.
“Phase one is a step in the right direction,” Pacell told TPG. “Travelers have been anxiously waiting on their passports, many applicants have been waiting several weeks or more and the passport status check offers limited updates. Passports are processed on a first come first serve basis, so the applicants that applied early will be grateful they did. The good news is your documents and passports are safe and secure at the passport agency. Safety continues to be the top priority and our team is grateful that the Department of State is opening up with a phased approach. We hear from hundreds of travelers every day and the consensus is pretty clear: The public is ready to travel again soon.”
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.