11 passport centers are reopening, but you’ll still have to wait on your application
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Home-weary travelers, rejoice: Your local passport agencies and centers are coming out of quarantine.
The State Department announced this week that 11 passport agencies and centers will reopen Thursday, June 11, under Phase One of the agency’s three-phase reopening plan.
The 11 centers that are reopening include:
- Arkansas Passport Center
- Buffalo Passport Agency
- Chicago Passport Agency
- Colorado Passport Agency
- Connecticut Passport Agency
- Detroit Passport Agency
- Minneapolis Passport Agency
- National Passport Center
- New Orleans Passport Center
- New York Passport Agency
- Philadelphia Passport Agency
Unfortunately, this doesn’t mean you can just march in to one of these centers and walk back out with a passport. During Phase One of reopening, priority will still be given to travelers who need a passport within the next 72 hours for a life-or-death emergency only. Applicants must make a confirmed appointment, and must wear cloth face coverings in all common areas, including the lobby, and observe strict social distancing.
Employees will also be phased back in to work on a limited number basis, primarily to process the existing backlog of passport applications that the agency has already received.
2020 has been a rough year for just about everyone on the planet, and travelers needing new or renewed passports have been no exception. The agency has been on lockdown since mid-March, with extremely limited services available to travelers with extreme emergencies only. Meanwhile, partner agencies offering expedited passport services have also been placed on hold.
So what does this reopening mean for travelers, really? David Pacella, Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships at RushMyPassport.com, weighed in for TPG.
“Phase one is a step in the right direction,” Pacell told TPG. “Travelers have been anxiously waiting on their passports, many applicants have been waiting several weeks or more and the passport status check offers limited updates. Passports are processed on a first come first serve basis, so the applicants that applied early will be grateful they did. The good news is your documents and passports are safe and secure at the passport agency. Safety continues to be the top priority and our team is grateful that the Department of State is opening up with a phased approach. We hear from hundreds of travelers every day and the consensus is pretty clear: The public is ready to travel again soon.”
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees