Passengers Left Antsy After Insect Infestation on WOW Air Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, passengers aboard a WOW Air flight from Iceland (KEF) to Montreal (YUL) were disturbed by an ant infestation mid-flight.
[Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
Marco Lavecchia, a passenger on the five-hour flight, said he just woke up from a nap when he noticed ants crawling around the aircraft, according to CBC. After landing, the captain of the flight notified passengers that they had to leave all their belongings on the airplane.
“Finally, after two hours, they let us know that, ‘Okay, you have to leave all your personal items on the airplane, and a bus is going to pick us up to take us to the baggage check area,'” Lavechhia told CBC.
Passengers had to leave all their personal items, including purses and coats. According to Lavecchia, WOW Air provided passengers with a blanket and a water bottle, but he still had to leave the airport with just a T-Shirt.
Hi Geoffrey, we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Please DM us your WOW air booking number if you need further assistance. -Victor
— WOW air Support (@wowairsupport) March 27, 2018
The source of the insects on board have not yet been determined. According to the CBC, government officials ruled that the ants were no threat to public health. Government officials are said to be overseeing fumigation of the aircraft, baggage and personal items on the flight.
.@skulimogensen What disappointing service following insect infestation of WW251 yesterday – bags are in limbo and ZERO proactive communication from @wowairsupport. Journalists asking me to comment, if you were me, what would you say?
— Geoffrey Hall (@gjhall) March 27, 2018
TPG reached out to WOW for comment but did not hear back at the time of publication.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.