Passengers Left Antsy After Insect Infestation on WOW Air Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, passengers aboard a WOW Air flight from Iceland (KEF) to Montreal (YUL) were disturbed by an ant infestation mid-flight.
[Update, 3/28/2019: WOW Air has ceased operations. Find our ongoing coverage of WOW Air’s collapse, and what affected passengers can do about it, here.]
Marco Lavecchia, a passenger on the five-hour flight, said he just woke up from a nap when he noticed ants crawling around the aircraft, according to CBC. After landing, the captain of the flight notified passengers that they had to leave all their belongings on the airplane.
“Finally, after two hours, they let us know that, ‘Okay, you have to leave all your personal items on the airplane, and a bus is going to pick us up to take us to the baggage check area,'” Lavechhia told CBC.
Passengers had to leave all their personal items, including purses and coats. According to Lavecchia, WOW Air provided passengers with a blanket and a water bottle, but he still had to leave the airport with just a T-Shirt.
Hi Geoffrey, we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Please DM us your WOW air booking number if you need further assistance. -Victor
— WOW air Support (@wowairsupport) March 27, 2018
The source of the insects on board have not yet been determined. According to the CBC, government officials ruled that the ants were no threat to public health. Government officials are said to be overseeing fumigation of the aircraft, baggage and personal items on the flight.
.@skulimogensen What disappointing service following insect infestation of WW251 yesterday – bags are in limbo and ZERO proactive communication from @wowairsupport. Journalists asking me to comment, if you were me, what would you say?
— Geoffrey Hall (@gjhall) March 27, 2018
TPG reached out to WOW for comment but did not hear back at the time of publication.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees