This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s 4:20 somewhere. And that somewhere is Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
Following Proposition 64, a referendum passed in California that legalized the use and possession of recreational marijuana within the state, LAX has announced on their website that the law also applies on airport grounds. Now air travelers can pack their weed right in their carry-on, alongside their phone charger and toothbrush.
All rules from the proposition still apply to those traveling through LAX. In order to possess marijuana, you must be 21 years of age and it has to be at or under 25.8 grams (or, 8 grams of concentrated marijuana). Also, passengers are expected to use common sense — don’t smoke on the plane and don’t act like a maniac. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) can still prohibit entry aboard flights for passengers who violate these limits as an institution of federal law, however, airport police can’t do much about it.
California is one of 10 states to legalize recreational marijuana in the past decade. The referendum has been active since January 1, 2018, but so far no other California airports have made any outward policies or announcements regarding the referendum. However, Ontario Airport (ONT), which is just outside of Los Angeles, has some celebratory “Cannabis is Legal” TSA bins to show for itself.
When all is said and done, LAX might never be the world’s largest or most connected airport — but it does have a good shot at being the dankest.
Featured image by Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees