Passengers Can Now Fly With Weed at LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s 4:20 somewhere. And that somewhere is Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
Following Proposition 64, a referendum passed in California that legalized the use and possession of recreational marijuana within the state, LAX has announced on their website that the law also applies on airport grounds. Now air travelers can pack their weed right in their carry-on, alongside their phone charger and toothbrush.
All rules from the proposition still apply to those traveling through LAX. In order to possess marijuana, you must be 21 years of age and it has to be at or under 25.8 grams (or, 8 grams of concentrated marijuana). Also, passengers are expected to use common sense — don’t smoke on the plane and don’t act like a maniac. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) can still prohibit entry aboard flights for passengers who violate these limits as an institution of federal law, however, airport police can’t do much about it.
California is one of 10 states to legalize recreational marijuana in the past decade. The referendum has been active since January 1, 2018, but so far no other California airports have made any outward policies or announcements regarding the referendum. However, Ontario Airport (ONT), which is just outside of Los Angeles, has some celebratory “Cannabis is Legal” TSA bins to show for itself.
When all is said and done, LAX might never be the world’s largest or most connected airport — but it does have a good shot at being the dankest.
Featured image by Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees