Passengers Can Now Fly With Weed at LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s 4:20 somewhere. And that somewhere is Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
Following Proposition 64, a referendum passed in California that legalized the use and possession of recreational marijuana within the state, LAX has announced on their website that the law also applies on airport grounds. Now air travelers can pack their weed right in their carry-on, alongside their phone charger and toothbrush.
All rules from the proposition still apply to those traveling through LAX. In order to possess marijuana, you must be 21 years of age and it has to be at or under 25.8 grams (or, 8 grams of concentrated marijuana). Also, passengers are expected to use common sense — don’t smoke on the plane and don’t act like a maniac. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) can still prohibit entry aboard flights for passengers who violate these limits as an institution of federal law, however, airport police can’t do much about it.
California is one of 10 states to legalize recreational marijuana in the past decade. The referendum has been active since January 1, 2018, but so far no other California airports have made any outward policies or announcements regarding the referendum. However, Ontario Airport (ONT), which is just outside of Los Angeles, has some celebratory “Cannabis is Legal” TSA bins to show for itself.
When all is said and done, LAX might never be the world’s largest or most connected airport — but it does have a good shot at being the dankest.
Featured image by Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.