This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man was taken into police custody on Thursday morning at Orlando International Airport (MCO) after showing up too late for a flight and then acting “erratic.”
Jeffrey Epstein, 59, of Lakeland, Florida, showed up at 6am for a 6:24am departure, according to an American Airlines spokesperson, too late to be checked in. When he “started yelling at our team members,” the spokesperson said, AA employees called authorities. Epstein engaged in a verbal exchange, Fox 35 Orlando reports. The verbal exchange then turned physical as officers tussled with Epstein on the ground, attempting to place him under arrest.
“After leaving the line, Epstein continued to yell profanities and other remarks about American Airlines’ business practices,” read an arrest affidavit. “Epstein took off his backpack, put his hands in the air, and said to arrest him.”
One officer reportedly observed a “white froth” around Epstein’s lips. When asked about the substance, Epstein appeared to become more agitated. According to the report, Epstein was causing a scene — passengers in the terminal stopped to record the incident.
Because of a complaint of chest pain, Epstein was seen by medical staff at the airport and then transported to a local hospital.
According to officers, Epstein told them that he’d “created a very big disturbance, and I did it on purpose.”
After being released from the hospital, Epstein was taken to the Orange County Jail in Florida and charged with battery on a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest with violence, trespassing, disorderly conduct and possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana, since a bag of weed was found on him.
This story was updated to indicate that this was not a case of denied boarding, since the passenger had not checked in.
Featured image by AP Photo/John Raoux.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees